Why only 3 year warranty for the MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by masmullin, Aug 9, 2010.

1. masmullin macrumors member

When spending >$5000 on a workstation, I expect it to last at least 5 years. Basically, I expect the amortization of a computer to be $666/year for a high end workstation machine. I'd be willing to accept a loss of $1700 after 5 years, but a loss of $3002 after 3 years is unacceptable.

Is there any way to get an extended-extended warranty on high priced MPs?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not through Apple.

3. psychometry macrumors regular

Buy it with a credit card that offers you its own warranty.

4. eponym macrumors 6502

I wasn't aware that when something goes wrong with a computer after the 3 year mark, it explodes and becomes unfixable.

5. masmullin thread starter macrumors member

It's a risk. My point is that Apple is putting a lot of risk upon their customers.

I've had problems with apple products before. My MBP has had a logic board and a screen replacement (luckily I was under warranty); the total cost would have been about $2300 if I was not under warranty.

I've had a dell computer i bought 11 years ago that still runs (its slow as hell though), and I've had a machine I bought off ncix.com expire after 6years (cost only $1200, I could have fixed it for $80, but it wasn't worth it... just bought a similar machine off craigslist for $60).

Things break, but at such a high price point, I would expect Apple to alleviate some of the risk to its customers by offering a 4 or 5 year warranty (dell offers 5years).

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

+1

My AMEX = Free Apple Care

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I tend to see the 3 v. 5 year warranty support issue for most similar to the consumer v. enterprise issue.

The enterprise side needs to minimize the risk in the event of a failure over a the entire systems expected lifespan (typically 5yrs). Not just to get that system up and running/keep it running as quickly as possible in a business environment, but non-operation costs money in more than just people sitting around doing nothing. Particularly as that lost time for contract completion may reduce the payment if that's negotiated in the contract (missed deadline penalties).

This may not be as big a deal for enthusiasts or independent professionals that can handle the time loss (or have to accept that risk, usually over budget constraints), but that's not the same for everyone, particularly the enterprise market.

8. mattbatt macrumors member

hmmm, you must of not owned a G5 then. 3 bad motherboards, each costing $1,000 plus labor, and you will feel my pain.

Did I pay for them all, no. After the second motherboard, I let my G5 sit and told her "bye-bye."