Why only 512GB SSD? No 128/256GB options?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BobHail, Aug 9, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

That´s like offering only 32GB RAM option!!! RIDICULOUS AND ABSURD!!!:eek::mad::(:confused::apple:

And only 1TB Serial ATA boot up drive option and nothing smaller!?!? :eek: What a waste of gigabytes! I don´t keep pretty much anything else except the OS X of course in the boot drive.

Ideally I would take something like this:

Hard Drive - Bay 1
    64/128 SSD for the boot drive

Hard Drive - Bay 2
    256/512GB SSD for audio mixing

Hard Drive - Bay 3
    1/2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA for sample libraries

Hard Drive - Bay 4
    1/2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA for other stuff

But now my choises are REALLY REALLY BAD AND REALLY REALLY FREAKING EXPENSIVE! Thanks for the amateur move Apple! :mad:

2. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Here, I'll be you for a second:

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BUY YOUR SSD FROM APPLE?!!?!?

THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PLACES TO PURCHASE ANY SIZE SSD YOUR HEART DESIRES!

Seriously dude, you need to calm down... :rolleyes:

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Just buy the drives you need from 3rd party sellers.

It's one of the key advantages of a Mac Pro...

Would be cheaper doing so too.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just get your boot drive from somewhere else. Apple's pricing on the 500GB drive is actually very reasonable. I'm guessing they're using Samsung's new OEM part which is meant to be very fast.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Actually, if the folks in the MacBook Pro forum are anything to go by, the large SSD's are coming from Toshiba. They are fairly fast... 240/200 MB/s.

6. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well of course I know that, but I want to order a machine, get it in two weeks and get to work! NO HASSLE!

That´s why I switched to Macs, so I don´t have to deal with 3rd party parts and customize the computer myself, might as just go back to PC then... :mad:

7. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I just finished a chat with Apple and they confirmed the drives are 3.5" SSD. I didn't ask the brand, but do any 3.5" SSDs exist in that low size? 512 makes sense if they want to avoid using 2.5" drives.

8. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If that's true, the only 3.5" SSD's I'm aware of are the OCZ Collussus which is actually spec'd as a 500GB drive, and the Corsair, which seems too expensive for Apple's price point. Is it possible the chat rep you were talking to has no clue?

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Isn't that always possible? ;)

I'm not sure though...he or she went to confirm it for a couple minutes so at least it didn't seem like a blind guess.

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

Such a compelling and well composed argument. Especially with the way you accentuate the word fails via capitalisation to help emphasise and draw your point across.

[EDIT] heh, so the offending post is deleted while I was writing this up. bah

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

You can get faster than Samsung.

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

There are several 3.5" SSD's now. OCZ has 3 models including the fastest Vertex 2, Corsair has at least one, but one thing to take note of is that once you pass 300gb or so, the speed of the drive drops a bit on read/writes even if it uses the exact same ram as the lower capacity drives. So if you have 285/275 on the lower capacities it would be 250/240 rated on 400-512 GB drives.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A Mac is a PC built to run OS X; that's really the only major difference.