Why OS X doesn't support Trim yet in 2011

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mark28, Aug 20, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Linux even has Trim. :rolleyes:

It's not that hard?

Garbage Collection isn't as good as Trim so it's no substitute.

2. Hyper-X, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Actually what Apple doesn't tell you is that TRIM support is only enabled on Apple SSD's, very misleading if you ask me. Use any other SSD (OCZ, OWC, Kingston, etc.) and TRIM will remain disabled in System Profiler.

However this isn't as bad of a problem as some might think, some drives like the OWC ME 6G SSD already has garbage collection native on the drive and does not require OS support for TRIM. In fact OWC states that it's best not to enable TRIM (i.e. using the TRIM Enabler hack).

Every drive isn't the same and some may benefit from using the TRIM Enabler hack, but I'd suggest using a SSD benchmark app to measure performance with and without the hack in place to see which way provides the best results.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Running three terminal commands really isn't a big deal to get TRIM going on a non Apple SSD. But I agree, it should be enabled by default for all SSDs.

Attached Files:

4. Lokheed macrumors regular

As many of you know, Cindori hacked in TRIM support from the first public release of 10.6.7, which included an updated kernel extension that enabled TRIM for Apple SSDs.

This started a ridiculous trend that saw a maelstrom of SSD owners froth at the mouth and jump at the opportunity (I was one of them, with mixed results). When Lion came out, some tried Cindori's hack with success, others, not so.

Then Grant Pannell came on the scene and further hacked the kext file to support Lion. Again, all SSD owners were satiated.

But before I jumped onto the ship, I started reading Pannell's blog comments (it can be a great way of knowing what you're getting yourself into sometimes) and one user caught my eye: Hyram. They wrote the following:

I haven't experienced the ridiculously short uptime he talks about. I've owned my SSD for almost a year now and it's been humming along nicely. But the "nano-second" timing he talks of made me cautious. The fact that performance went down (by a few marks, but still) and that emptying the trash sometimes took ages also weighed against hacking my kext.

I admit I don't know nearly enough about SSDs and TRIM (not at the level required) to make the call to hack my kernel extension so that DU reads, TRIM: YES.

I guess just a cautionary note to those blindly enabling TRIM (or whining about it) because it was all the rage in 2006. Maybe you want to either learn more about TRIM (is it even needed these days?) or at the very least, be sure enabling it doesn't lead to a detriment...

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Interesting post. I'm glad I've got an Intel x-25m G2 drive. ;)

6. 50548 Guest

I've read the same post by Hyram, and definitely don't feel the need to hack my OS just to "nominally" enable TRIM - Apple's concern is that TRIM needs some timing-customization to work correctly in specific SSDs; and as expected, the company IS NOT in a position to support any SSD out there for this very reason.

Besides, TRIM is NOT necessary for the Vertex 3 due to its SandForce-enabled garbage collection technology. Those using TRIM Enabler do it at their own risk.

7. Lokheed macrumors regular

Just to add, the Vertex2's also don't need TRIM as they have the same SandForce enabled onboard garbage collection.

As I said, I'm not a super expert on this matter, but the more I read, the more I'm getting that TRIM is a deprecated system...

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Unless you have an older non-Sandforce drive, like me.

9. Lokheed macrumors regular

Yeah, hence deprecated, not obsolete ;) In all seriousness, I think that may actually be the case these days or at least moving in that direction.

Really, the OS shouldn't need to do anything anyway. All that stuff should happen on the drive so we can shave off some of that overhead. I sent Anand an email over at Anandtech regarding this very topic, but never heard back. Would have been nice to get some more info on the matter from a pro, and not try to piece it together from internet sources :(