Why own an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RevolvingSheep, Mar 7, 2012.

1. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

I have a iPhone 4S and a Macbook Pro. I'm buying my first iPad with the iPad 3 but before now, I was always unsure if I ever really needed an iPad. Off the top of my head, I imagine web browsing would be more enjoyable on the bigger screen and that iPhone apps that are also on the iPad would be more engaging with more content on the screen at once.

Other than those two obvious reasons, why do you own an iPad and why do you continue to update every year? What are the main features that you depend on with your iPad... features that you would surely miss if you could no longer own one? Or maybe you sold your iPad 2 a while ago and are really missing some things about it... what things?

2. d0vr macrumors 6502a

It's great for internet browsing as you said. Other than that, I'm not sure. I jsut sold my iPad and am hoping the 3 comes with a "killer feature" [read: not retina or LTE] to convince me there is a better use for it. haptic feedback would be one such feature (will assist the creators or pen input devices and allow me to use the iPad for handwritten notation - or better still, drawing).

Otherwise, if I update, it will be because I miss browsing the internet without a laptop. Not the best reason.

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

For me its portable and I actually enjoy browsing the internet more on the iPad than I do on my laptop. Its just so easy to pick it up and move around compared to my laptop. Other than that, I love reading ebooks on it and watching video.

4. CharlieBrandt09 macrumors 6502

CharlieBrandt09

I use (used, because I just sold it - but will be buying the iPad 3) as a laptop replacement.

90% of the time I was on my laptop, it was for casual uses. I do much better "work" using my iMac at my desktop. Less distractions, among other reasons.

With the iPad, I can take it anywhere and use it just as I was my laptop before it.

Oh, and one other thing. I have kids, so I have the car seat headrest mount which makes car rides way more enjoyable for everyone. The iPad has a much nicer screen than any of the usual portable dvd players, plus it can do a whole lot more on long trips if my kids don't feel like watching a movie.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

I have both a 7 and a 5 year old son. My 7 year old has an old iPhone 3G that he plays games on. I don't know how I feel about letting him directly handle the iPad 3.

7. Nightprowler macrumors regular

If you already have a decent laptop it might not change much, but if you are generally tied to a desk or stuck in your office/computer room, the ipad is a cheap and convenient way to get out amongst your family while staying "connected". My opinion of course.

8. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Then never let him see you use it.
    My 2 year old son has been using ours and knows most of the ins and outs since we got it in November.

He loves the Elmo ABCs and Monster @ the End of the Book apps and a few others.

our iPad screen is not speckled with fingerprints and smears. He has coughed and sneezed on it. In the beginning i was wiping it clean all the time. now I am not as worried about it. it is being used. it can keep him busy at times, though other times he whines when you take it away. We've down the Timer thing before and it actually worked well. **We have carpeted floors, except kitchen/bathrooms and basement, where he won't be taking it anyway.

I also use it in the kitchen when cooking/baking. sue there are times I put unwanted fingerprints on mine.

Back on topic though: we use our iPad as a laptop replacement. We only use the laptop when we want to use a Flash Site (shutterfly). We have an iMac for big stuff and iPhones for on the go. the iPad is great for browsing and reading. I like Flipboard and Paprika apps as well as Photo Editing (Snapseed) and drawing on it.

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I want one too, but as an Air owner, having a hard time justifying the purchase. An iPad would make life slightly more convenient. Not sure that's worth it, but may cave...

10. KylePowers, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

No point if you have an 11in MBA in my opinion.

If you had a bigger laptop (13in MBA is cutting it close) or only a desktop, then yeah, it's a nifty device.

Personally, I might go up to a 13in MBA and go for an iPad 3. But that's a totally unnecessary purchase littered with wants, as opposed to being fueled by any sort of necessity.

It's especially difficult when having an iPhone too. So much crossover it's absurd.

11. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I don't have a smartphone or laptop, so the iPad is my mobile computing device. I suspect I would not want or need the iPad if I had an iPhone or a laptop. And for me, since the iPad is easier to carry than a laptop and easier to view (larger screen) than an iPhone, I don't expect to change my setup any time soon.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You really don't know the value of having one to browse the internet with if you've never had one before. It's a luxury item though, not something you can't do without. But if you've ever used one for everyday web browsing and consuming media, you'll find that a laptop or desktop can't really compare.

13. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I've always thought the best analogy is: "I already have a bicycle and a sedan. Why do I need a motorcycle?"

Most people will answer with, "I don't." But those of us with motorcycles know exactly why we need the motorcycle.

There are some practical reasons:
    • Better gas mileage (iPad - battery life)
    • Easier to park (iPad - lighter and thinner), etc.

...But there are also some intangibles:
    • Fun to ride (iPads are fun to use, especially when it comes to games)
    • The experience of ownership (riding with friends, or being a part of the Apple fan community)
    • Let's face it, some people get motorcycles and/or iPads because they just want to be seen with their toys in public. And if anyone says that's not a part of it, they are lying through their teeth.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I bought it personally for reading PDF files, which it is awesome for.

Other than that, I can see two reasons:
    Casual gaming and couch surfing.

Nothing else, really.