Why Passbook sucks your battery life down

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by philip in al, Oct 4, 2012.

1. philip in al macrumors regular

I've noticed that if you have ANYTHING saved in Passbook, whether it's a coupon, loyalty card, anything, that any time your lock screen is activated, Passbook also activates your Geo Location (via location services) and checks to see whether you have anything in Passbook that it needs to display (based on where you are).

The real problem with this is that simply turning on your screen is a major battery drain. What most people don't realize is that your screen turns on a lot more than you think. For example, some people have their email setup to display every time there is an incoming email. So if you were to get 50 emails a day, that's 50 times that your screen comes on (and 50 times that Passbook loads location services, in order to see if you are near anything stored in your Passbook). Couple this with how many more times your screen activates because of any other apps that notify or alert you via the lock screen and you have Passbook activating location services 100 times a day.

You can test this by placing any coupon etc in Passbook and then watching the top of your screen any time your screen comes on. You will see the blue triangle light (indicating location services is on). Now go back and remove EVERYTHING from Passbook. Now when your screen comes on, no more blue triangle and no more location services checking to see where you are.

2. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

which is why the exclusion of a separate LED for alerts is mind boggling considering the emphasis on battery life efficiency.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

So... Wouldnt turning off location services for passbook alone solve the problem?

4. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, turning off notifications does nothing and turning off location services will fix the issue; however, you will no longer be notified when you arrive at a location that has a passbook coupon or card for you.

5. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

The point being, if you have a passbook for something like Starbucks that you use on a very regular basis, it may be worth keeping it in passbook. But, if you have a simple coupon that you may or may not use and nothing else in passbook, you probably don't want to use it.

6. sectime macrumors 6502a

How large is the battery drain for you? I don't see a change with using Passbook. If it would I would just charge my phone.

7. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

I'm really not sure at this point. Last night was the first time that I figured this out. I'll let you know after a couple of days.

8. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Its neat that it will pull up the coupon already for you based on location services, but its not very hard to unlock your phone and launch passport. much better than draining battery location

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Developers have access to three ways to determine location.
    1. Use the built in GPS for devices that have it. This uses the most battery and is the most accurate.
    2. Use triangulation using cell phone towers.
    3. Use wifi location and a database lookup.
    Numbers two or three uses less battery and it is probably what Passbook uses.
    So battery drain should be minimal.
    I use a weather app called Dark Sky which use location services 24/7 and it uses cell towers for tracking my location. I noticed no additional battery drain.

http://blog.filzhut.de/2011/12/06/i...tion-vs-wlan-wrong-location-due-to-wlan-wifi/

http://engineeringblog.yelp.com/201...r-location-accuracy-using-yelp-check-ins.html

10. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

If this is a big deal couldn't you just set your email notifications to not show in the lock screen?

11. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I've had a Target coupon for a few days and the Starbucks card since yesterday. I've not once seen Passport use location services.

Passport isn't even listed for me in Location services. It's never requested location information! I can open and close it, display coupons, switch between them, etc. It never once requested my location.

Now, the Target app and Starbucks app request my information (to local the closest locations).

12. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

Mr. Applegate, the Starbucks app uses GPS (location services). Oppressed; no shutting off your email notifications does not change the fact that it opens and calls upon location services.

13. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

Xenomorph, Check settings, privacy. It should be there.

14. Surrylic macrumors regular

If Passbook sucks so much battery life down, then does that mean location based Reminders do too? I use those all the time, and my phone doesn't have to be unlocked for it to know when I'm arriving at home or work... so since it is continually aware of my location you'd think that would drain far more heavily than if Passbook just checks when the screen turns on. Right? Maybe?

15. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

That's bad then. Perhaps with enough of a backlash the developers will switch to a less battery intensive way to locate the user. Considering its use they don't need a precise fix just a general you are near me fix.

16. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Noticed this as well and simply disabled location services for Passbook. Don't need to have it auto-detect if I'm near a Starbucks.

However, after running 18 hours or so with it enabled, I really haven't noticed an increase in battery drain...and I'm in and out of my phone all day as well as mail, msg, ESPN, etc alerts all day long.

17. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Not trying to defend Apple, but this is pretty obvious.

If you want passbook to notify you when you're close to a location, it needs to KNOW YOUR LOCATION CONSTANTLY.

It's the same as the location-based reminders. If you're not going to be near a charger all day then you can't use these alerts.

I did, however, notice that the OS uses 'geofencing' for these apps instead of direct GPS, which I assume is a little better for battery life. I haven't tested it though

18. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

Surrylic, yes those are bad. In fact, an old trick on the iPhone 4 and 4s (several os ago) was to go into the location services settings and disable many of the factory enabled settings like; compass calibration, diagnostics and usage, traffic, loc based ads, time zone support etc. it certainly made a difference. All of these consistently ping your location; which draws on your battery.

19. zone23 macrumors 68000

Ya I was in there digging around there other day and turned a bunch of stuff off. Passbook is cool but much like the S3 features I just wont use it enough to warrant the GPS activating every time I unlock my phone. I'll know when I'm at Starbucks..

20. philip in al thread starter macrumors regular

The good news is, it doesn't matter whether you have one item in passbook or a thousand, it's not going to draw any more power.

21. Senseotech macrumors 6502a

Senseotech

I've been running the Walgreens passbook card since iOS 6 was officially launched, so roughly 2 weeks, and never noticed a significant drain on my 4S or when I switched to the iPhone 5. Yes it uses battery, but its not enough to where I've truly noticed it.

22. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hmm, i cant seem to replicate this issue. I have Walgreens and Target in my passbook. I stopped at Walgreens on the way home and it activated as it should.

I havent made any calls today, but I do have 2 exchange accounts pushing to the phone through the day. I took the phone off the charger at 6:30est this morning and as of now I'm at 81%. Passbook activated for Walgreens around 3:00.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

If anyone is worried about battery life with Passbook, just look to save battery life in other places. For example, kill email Push and set it to Fetch hourly.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So what you're saying is by using another feature that activates certain functions of my phone, my battery life decreases?

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Yes. And in other news, extra physical activity requires extra calories.