Why pay more for ATV 2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SuperMatt, Jun 3, 2012.

1. SuperMatt macrumors 6502

SuperMatt

Why are there so many 2nd-gen Apple TVs being sold for $150-$200 or more on eBay when you can buy a new 3rd-gen for $99? I see most are jailbroken, but how hard is it really to jailbreak it yourself?

Oh, and I understand that the 3rd-gen one can't be jailbroken (yet), but I still think that's quite a price premium. I have seen the 2nd-gen ones, new in the box, discounted at some stores... so I'd think buying one of those and jailbreaking it yourself would be a lot smarter...

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Selling my old ATV2s paid for new ATV3s. I've never had a need to jailbreak them.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

same rule as anything on the free market...supply-demand... as long as many people pay more for it, people will sell it for that much.

People want Jailborken ATVs...so people will sell it

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

obviously, but these are not easy to find

5. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

I sold my ATV2 a few weeks ago and a guy offered me an additional $50 to install xbmc addons for him. I was dumbfounded. If you can follow directions the jailbreak process is dead easy. But some people just want the toy without the mess. Needless to say, I sold the jailbroken ATV2 to cover my ATV3 and then quite a bit more.

I would never have paid that much. For me, the fun of tinkering with the box made the jailbreak worth it. It was just as entertaining as using the box to consume media.

6. sgwilliams macrumors newbie

Just did the same thing:)