Why people cannot unzip MAC created files?

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Hello, sometimes I put several files in a folder. Then, right click and compressed the folder. Next, sent the compressed file via email attachment. It has happened several times that the other parties replied to me saying that they cannot unzip the file and requested me to send the unzipped format. How come?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
How big is the file? It seems that OS X and Windows handle large files (more than 4 GB, if I recall correctly) differently.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Then, you may not want to compress those files using the built-in function on your Mac. Use software that will give you a more compatible zip file, such as Archiver, or Smart Zipper, etc.
I think by using the builtin compression, you end up with a file that is compressed, but not quite as compatible as you would expect when a Windows pc tries to open it.

Or, don't compress the files at all, just attach them in a folder.

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Then, you may not want to compress those files using the built-in function on your Mac. Use software that will give you a more compatible zip file, such as Archiver, or Smart Zipper, etc.
I think by using the builtin compression, you end up with a file that is compressed, but not quite as compatible as you would expect when a Windows pc tries to open it.

Or, don't compress the files at all, just attach them in a folder.
Thanks. Just checked the App Store. They seem to cost money. Do you know of any free app that is guaranteed to be able to generate zip file that could be unzipped by Windows user? If not, which of the two above is better?

I have over 10 files. It may be annoying to the receiving party to click and save each file.

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
United States
Hello, sometimes I put several files in a folder. Then, right click and compressed the folder. Next, sent the compressed file via email attachment. It has happened several times that the other parties replied to me saying that they cannot unzip the file and requested me to send the unzipped format. How come?
You shouldn't be having this issue at all. Could you pm me for my email and send me one of the compressed folder so i can see how this is happening.

peterpan123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
You shouldn't be having this issue at all. Could you pm me for my email and send me one of the compressed folder so i can see how this is happening.
Thanks. It is just a bunch of pdf files. Sometimes including jpeg files.