Why people go for Vega 48?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jonatious, Apr 1, 2019.

1. jonatious macrumors member

jonatious

Vega 48 is not enough for people who really need the graphics right? So why don't people go for 580X and buy an eGPU which is much more powerful than the Vega 48? Added to the power, Vega 48 upgrade is just over priced.

Is it just to save space on the desk? After all, iMacs are not portable.

Am I missing something here?

2. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

Several people believed the Vega 48 would run cooler than the 580x in a meaningful enough way that it would help keep fan noise at a minimum. That idea really had no basis in fact. It may indeed run cooler, but not enough to affect the thermals.

Personally I did not believe it was worth the cost as you'd still be in the all-in-one GPU category even with the upgrade. eGPU would be the only true way to add a meaningful amount of power at a decent price.

3. adamjackson macrumors 68000

The BlackMagic Pro is $1199 for the Vega 56. I guess there are other options out there but that is a lot of money to spend.

4. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say DIY is the way to go here. You probably want to avoid the eGPU Apple sells in their own stores. :)

5. adamk77 macrumors 6502a

adamk77

There's also that using an eGPU with the internal display does not work well. You need to connect it to an external monitor to get the promised performance.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Some reasons why I'd suppose people go for it over an eGPU.
    - They want an all Apple solution
    - They want an all-in-one solution
    - Don't trust or avoid non-apple hardware
    - Concern over reliability of eGPU/OS updates breaking the setup.
    - Setting up an eGPU and having it use the internal display is too technical
    - Lack of awareness of the option

7. SkiHound2 macrumors regular

To me the key question is how much of a benefit does the Vega 48 actually provide when compared with the 580x, and in what applications does it provide that advantage? And, how much if any does the Vega actually reduce heat? I've not really seen much real world data that actually answers those questions. My thought (and that's all it is really) is that it won't be of much or any benefit to most users, at least not now. The integrated gpu on Intel cpus is perfectly fine for most most of the things most of us most of the time. Future software could take more advantage of gpus and thus the advantages would be more compelling in the future. And it would obviously be of benefit for anyone wanting to do much gaming or anyone doing extensive video editing or rendering.

8. Shivetya macrumors 68000

hence why many here are still sitting on the fence waiting for someone to provide real data that indicates the gains

9. Crash Davis macrumors member

Crash Davis

It's the last part about the future that interests me. I kept my last iMac for 8 years.

10. jonatious thread starter macrumors member

jonatious

I obviously wasn't talking about the eGPU apple provides. But yeah DIY would have its own issues as well

11. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

Yep. I'm still running a maxed out 2011 iMac. Is that the one you have too?

12. jerwin, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019

jerwin macrumors 68020

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/compare/3846496?baseline=3866879

580x is better at RAW and Histogram Equalization

Vega48 is particularly good at SFFT.

AMD was pushing Vega's advantages in Deep Learning. (FP16 operations are twice as fast as FP32, but are very imprecise)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-precision_floating-point_format

13. Crash Davis macrumors member

Crash Davis

Yep, maxed out mid-2011. Pretty great machine still too.

14. Kfamily macrumors newbie

Same computer and want my new one to last as long. Still on the fence about the Vega but pretty sure will do the i9 and even one of the larger SSDs for this reason.

15. aman88 macrumors member

Specs? I have the lower end 21.5 2010 and she’s not working right :/...

16. jerwin macrumors 68020

Everymac says the mid 2010 imacs have

The i3s of that generation have two cores (plus hyperthreading, but that has limited benefits). If you have an i5, you still don't have quicksync-- which really helps with streaming video. Plus, the video card is behind the times.

17. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

3.4Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 6770M

Though I am for sure going to upgrade to a maxed out 2019 iMac in the coming month or so.

18. aman88 macrumors member

I wish I could validate spending that but I really don’t do much more than home and office work... looking to get base 27” with the SSD upgrade... will add more RAM, eGPU with external monitor if I decide to game.

19. Colonel Blimp macrumors regular

Colonel Blimp

In macOS, support for using an eGPU to drive the built-in display has to be enabled by the application developer. Not many macOS games have this support enabled so far. (Of all of Feral Interactive’s macOS games, for example, only Rise of the Tomb Raider currently supports using an eGPU to drive the internal display.)

So if you want to game in macOS and you want to use the built-in display, the internal Vega 48 will give you the best performance. I ordered my 2019 iMac with a Vega 48 largely for that reason, but I’ll probably get an eGPU as well at some point.

20. aman88 macrumors member

Just get an external display? Use the internal for everything else and the external to play games with the eGPU... that set up should work with an iMac too correct?

21. Colonel Blimp macrumors regular

Colonel Blimp

Yes, an external display should work, and will give better performance (as adamk77 mentioned).

Some folks might not want two displays on their desk, which is why I mentioned the limitation.

22. aman88 macrumors member

I know it works with MBP and Mac Mini but you do not see very many people doing it with an iMac... that’s kind of the point of the iMac as you stated. So I was curious. I guess the eGPU is a good idea in a sense because you technically could buy a new GPU for it every couple of years... I know that was the first thing to be out of date with my current 2010 iMac (out of date gpu upon purchase lol).

23. jonatious thread starter macrumors member

jonatious

I would never buy an iMac if I want to game ;)

24. russofris macrumors regular

You can still buy an iMac, but you also need to buy a PC with a Nvidia card and a low-latency switch for the basement so you can screen-cast via Steam/NV-Play/etc.

My iMac plays games from my son's PC just fine.

;-)

25. Bohemien macrumors regular

Bohemien

Or just game on an XBOX/PS4/Switch. It’s nicer on the couch with my surround system and a wee dram o’ Single Malt anyway... :D