Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mardiel8128

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
So I just watched like 20 youtube videos about m2pro and m2 for the macmini and most of them use big mouse pad. I don't even Know it existed. So why people use them?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So why people use them?
Short answer: Because we want too
Long answer: I use a mouse mat, one of those bad boys that spans the width of the desk and is from the edge of the desk to the monitor. Simple reason is that I can use my mouse on any part of the desk, instead of a predefined square. It looks nice, i.e., black mat on my wood desk looks sharp. The mat protects the desk from spillage or other things, and allows a tiny measure of padding for my arms.

Last edited:

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Long answer: I use a mouse mat, one of those bad boys that spans the width of the desk and is from the edge of the desk to the monitor. Simple reason is that I can use my mouse on any part of the desk, instead of a predefined square. It looks nice, i.e., black mat on my wood desk looks sharp. The mat protects the desk from spillage or other things, and allows a tiny measure of padding for my arms.
I second this response

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Gamers commonly use large mousepads so they do not need to ever lift the mouse across a wide range of motion.
Yeah, this is why I hate mouse pads. At least, the normal sized ones.

If it was up to me I would never use a mouse pad, but some surfaces for whatever reason do not always work well with optical mice, such as glass.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Exactly, and very well explained and very well said.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
very simply, the larger the mouse pad the less likely you’ll find the edge of the pad and have to lift your mouse and reposition it, it also means your wrist isn’t likely to be resting on the edge of the mat. A bigger mouse pad won’t change your life but it will make it a little bit better…

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No mouse/desk pad on my glass desk. Hooray laser mice.
Second that. Since laser mice became a thing, mousepads went away for me.

On wood (or simulated wood) desks you can get a nice slick sheen built up that allows the mouse to glide.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I like huge, desk spanning mouse pads because a raw desk feels hard and cold. The pad provides cusion for the hand, and it's warm to the touch.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.