Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I used a axon 7 for a week and I thought it was a decent phone but turned it back to keep my iPhone now I'm kinda regretting it and wondering if I should sell the iPhone.

I'm not expert on phones but I'm learning and I respect the opinions of those more wise on the matter but most you guys just don't put much time into products not named Samsung and Google and Apple.

The axon 7 thread is probably on page 5 with less than 80 replies, one plus has 67 replies, and HTC is probably in the bushes right now lol.

Just my observation but I'm hoping ZTE and HTC so well so you guys can put more time into other brands besides the usual big three.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
People tend to talk about what they own/want to own/are interested, and it just happens to be Samsung/Google/Apple. Samsung is very popular right now, so there are more people who own a Samsung device or are interested in one. Google is responsible for a lot of Android so it's always going to be a hot topic too. I don't think Apple really needs a reason considering the name of this site haha.

HTC is pretty dead compared to their past glory and ZTE + Huawei are still gaining ground so there isn't a lot of interest yet.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Simple: Pure Android (Pixel/Nexus) and Samsung are super popular options. Pure Android is the closest iOS experience that's not iOS. Samsung has a bevy of hardware perks and cool software features.

The Axon is nice hardware wise, but crap software wise. Their software has that ridiculous notification bell.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Haven't owned Axon, but had some time to mess with it. Didn't like the software, so never bought it. But I buy a lot of phones over the year, and I mean a lot. Almost every major (flagship) phone except samsung phones (hate tw).

And from all the phones I've tried this year, I find OnePlus 3 to be the best in android world. HTC 10 just behind it. Xiaomi makes some great devices as well, especially low/mid end tier devices. And I hate to admit, but I will not buy any more of Sony phones as well.

But people play it safe. They buy the phones that are most accessible to them. And those are LG, Samsung, Apple, Google, and even Huawei. Those are all easily purchased from carriers. You can't purchase OP3 via carrier. And even if you decide to purchase OP3, you have to be patient.

I have ordered OP3t on 2nd of December. Shipping date is set to 2nd of January. Not a lot of people would wait over a month after paying just to receive the phone.

The thing is rather simple. If carriers promote the phone, more people will own it. If not... Well, that's why OP, Axon and HTC threads don't have a lot of posts. And I'm sad coz of that, since they do really make great phones. But producing a great phone is one thing, marketing and selling the damn thing is another thing :)

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
People tend to talk about what they own/want to own/are interested, and it just happens to be Samsung/Google/Apple. Samsung is very popular right now, so there are more people who own a Samsung device or are interested in one. Google is responsible for a lot of Android so it's always going to be a hot topic too. I don't think Apple really needs a reason considering the name of this site haha.

HTC is pretty dead compared to their past glory and ZTE + Huawei are still gaining ground so there isn't a lot of interest yet.

HTC 10 is a great phone, Jerryrigeverything just said it's the most durable phone of 2016.

Samsung imo is overrated, the cost is similar to apples and I think the audio is weak on ALL their phones and the lag tends to kick in and slow the phone down, also the s7 doesn't even have qc3.0 and uses usb 2.0 so I think Samsung is cutting corners to increase profit which is the APPLE in a nutshell.

I think Sammy just has the best screens, aka (makes the best eyecandy) but other phones are just better, imo HTC10 is a better product that the s7, better build, sound, qc3.0 just not a good enough screen which is what most people look at first and foremost.

I think the pixel is ugly and just not worth the cost.

But the axon 7 minus the notification bell lol and the non lit buttons I can't find much fault with it, just a good phone and unlocked out the box. I would think it would blow up much more than it did due to what you get and the more you guys speak on it the more newbies are considering picking up one.

Simple: Pure Android (Pixel/Nexus) and Samsung are super popular options. Pure Android is the closest iOS experience that's not iOS. Samsung has a bevy of hardware perks and cool software features.

The Axon is nice hardware wise, but crap software wise. Their software has that ridiculous notification bell.

Not perfect but damn good for less than half the cost of a new NOTE 7/ 7plus.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
HTC 10 is a great phone, Jerryrigeverything just said it's the most durable phone of 2016.

Samsung imo is overrated, the cost is similar to apples and I think the audio is weak on ALL their phones and the lag tends to kick in and slow the phone down, also the s7 doesn't even have qc3.0 and uses usb 2.0 so I think Samsung is cutting corners to increase profit which is the APPLE in a nutshell.

I think Sammy just has the best screens, aka (makes the best eyecandy) but other phones are just better, imo HTC10 is a better product that the s7, better build, sound, qc3.0 just not a good enough screen which is what most people look at first and foremost.

I think the pixel is ugly and just not worth the cost.

But the axon 7 minus the notification bell lol and the non lit buttons I can't find much fault with it, just a good phone and unlocked out the box. I would think it would blow up much more than it did due to what you get and the more you guys speak on it the more newbies are considering picking up one.

Not perfect but damn good for less than half the cost of a new NOTE 7/ 7plus.

As good of a product the HTC 10 is, they have the same issues year in year out: camera software and a dearth of bells/whistles. It might be the most durable phone, but it doesn't change how the price and lack of marketing create a deficit. Their Uh-Oh plan is a better warranty than a lot of other companies. ZTE has the best in the business from my knowledge, but it's not enough.

Samsung has simple marketing now. That's how they get more buzz since they advertise water resistance and people eat it up. There is no HTC Pay w/ MST support. Quick Charge 3.0 and USB Type C are overrated for consumers. It's about the look as well. HTC has, more or less, a similar design.

Let's not forget the OP3 and OP3T have better price points than a lot of the mainstream device yet go under the radar. It's about product support, marketing, features, and financing options. Apple and Samsung have done well with most of those aspects. The OP3/OP3T, ZTE Axon 7, Google Pixel, and HTC 10 aren't in carrier stores. There are many reasons why people don't post as much about them in general. Android diehards prefer these phones. Pricing is only a part of it. But people won't know about pricing unless they're made aware of it.

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia

Just because the HTC is durable doesn't make it a great phone. why on earth would they get rid of the front facing speakers? That was one of the reasons many people bought the phone. The decision to keep the ugly black bars with the HTC logo is also a head scratcher.

As for the Axon 7, I had it for a few months but ended up selling it. The software, horrible wifi and LTE signal and a lousy mic made it easy for me to sell it and go back to the 6p

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
We're all into different things, I want easily unlocked bootloaders and community support the ZTE and HTC don't really have that.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I have an Axon 7. I'm pretty satisfied. These devices don't sell in the volumes that many other phones do, and have a shorter history of having a large mindshare or marketshare.

If a device doesn't have a carrier deal, then you'll hear less about it because most people like to put their hands on these devices before forking over hundreds of dollars for them.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I used a axon 7 for a week and I thought it was a decent phone but turned it back to keep my iPhone now I'm kinda regretting it and wondering if I should sell the iPhone.

I'm not expert on phones but I'm learning and I respect the opinions of those more wise on the matter but most you guys just don't put much time into products not named Samsung and Google and Apple.

The axon 7 thread is probably on page 5 with less than 80 replies, one plus has 67 replies, and HTC is probably in the bushes right now lol.

Just my observation but I'm hoping ZTE and HTC so well so you guys can put more time into other brands besides the usual big three.
Keep in mind Axon 7 isn't available on most carriers globally, certainly down here in South Africa one has to import it at a high cost with little support. Also, there seems to be a bit of a thing against Chinese brands in the USA.

The HTC on the other hand never got the marketing push it deserved, and they have been on a decline for a while.

I think most people are sticking to brands they know.

The Google Pixel/Pixel XL, Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge and Apple iPhone 7/7 Plus have all proven to be truly brilliant devices, especially in areas like Camera, that require heavy investment both in terms of Software, Hardware and Human Resources, something companies like Xiomi, ZTE, HTC etc... Don't have as much of.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've talked about my HTC 10 a lot on various threads. I love it but I hold back from recommending it because of HTC being reputed to be in a precarious financial position. I saw a rumor yesterday that they may not even sell the HTC 11 in the US next year because they don't have the resources to market it here. :( Currently it's very well supported with prompt updates and even a well tested and fast US rollout of Nougat. I just don't know what 2017 will hold for HTC 10 owners.

It's a great value for the money at the moment. It has the Uh-Oh protection that covers water damage or one drop damage incident for free. That's a great value. Mine works great on AT&T and works very well with my GMC truck. I think the display is very nice. I've liked it well enough to use it as my primary phone since I got it at the end of October.

The fingerprint sensor is the best I've ever used and has not needed to reregister my prints yet. The audio through wired headphones is fabulous. It's worth having just as a music player. Even if you're not playing high quality sound files, stuff from Apple Music will still sound better than when I play the same songs on my iPhone 6S Plus and Samsung phones.

If you're on a budget and not worried about long term support and updates past the initial year of ownership, it's a good buy at the price they have been running of $499 and on that basis I recommend it. Otherwise I would recommend going with Samsung or Pixel.

The camera is very good but a hair or two under the quality of the Samsung or iPhone 7 camera when you take lots of sample photos and compare them. Sometimes it will even produce the best picture in some circumstances, so it's at least that competent. You're definitely not giving up flagship specs to get the budget friendly price.

Reactions: Tsepz and ShaunAFC3

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
No one really wants those others. One reason is their resale value is very low and another is generally the device is slow to get updates if at all. Another is customer support is rather shabby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.