Why poor RAM playback

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andrew07, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if RAM is the cause.
    MBP version 10.4.11, 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM
    On speedtest Download:1510 kb/s Upload 403 kb/s

I'm getting stuttering when playing Pandora radio, Pro Tools LE, and EZDrummer(the last two are music instrument programs which playback audio). Before updating to 10.4.11 I didn't seem to get this stuttering. I've run all the Onyx fixes several times, too

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Install Menu Meters or iStat and check what the network speeds are when you are running Pandora, it may be a network issue. The other two may be due to other processes, Tiger Problems, or a Permissions Problem.

I have a TiBook 667 DVI and have zero problems with Pandora, so I suspect it is a network issue to Pandora.

TEG

3. Andrew07 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply!

using MenuMeters while running Pandora:
    CPU at ~12%
    721 MB of 3,377MB free
    Network Receive jumps from 84-154 B/s every 5 seconds or so. While Pandora is playing and I load another page in another window it can go as low as 2-40

Hmm, running EZDrummer (essentially playback of a virtual drummer) I seem to be OK usage-wise. But it's still stuttering.
    24% of CPU
    using 733MB RAM 3365Mb free

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Seems more a network issue, RAM is fine... you have over 3GBS un touched...

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would try disabling all programs that access the internet in the background and see if that helps, or disconnecting from the internet completely.

Also, repair permissions and verify the Disk in case there is a data error causing the problem.

TEG