Why pre-order iPad 2s are silly high on Ebay?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by celo48, Mar 7, 2011.

1. celo48 macrumors 6502a

Why do people want to pay that much money when they can buy them on March 11th or at a little later date at MSRP? Not to mention the seller could not deliver them on the release day anyway.

I assume it is for international buyers but they could wait 2 more weeks to get the too.

It just does not make sense.

What do you think?

2. advan031 macrumors 6502

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

International buyers and those that think there'll be a shortage. Happens with a lot of Apple products, which is why on sites like eBay it takes a while for their value to come down.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

International buyers would be the obvious first target. Just as a bunch of people were selling Playstation 2 for $1000 in the USA when it first appeared in Japan.

5. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do not know about worrying for shortage.

Wal-Mart , Best Buy & Sam's Club and of course Apple (store and online) will sell them. Plus MacMall, etc.

If it is $50 more or something in that range, I may understand but it is few hundred dollars more. It is crazy!

Also for PlayStation maybe I understand because I do not think Sony has the power to sell them like Apple. I mean supplying the demand.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'm not saying I think there'll be a shortage, just what the average eBayer might think. I've sold a lot of stuff on eBay at equal or greater value - always perplexed, but never complained about it.

7. celo48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know what you meant. I was trying to say why people think there would be a shortage. The way some people think just blows my mind!

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

prices aren't silly high, the pay that pay that much are.

crazy

9. McPhallus macrumors regular

I remember when the first iPaq Pocket PCs came out and there was a shortage almost immediately. People on eBay were paying up to $1600 for a device with a goofy design, clunky OS, and NO apps. If you make someone want something bad enough and then make it scarce, they'll go crazy.