Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I am curious why the Rating system is there. Not complaining, understand, or even suggesting it should, or should not be done. it has been my observation that regardless of what the subject is, there is almost an automatic 6 negatives, like it the factory default or something. Out of curiosity, I have inquired about why some seemingly benign threads received negative votes.

The responses were varied and (many) confusing. Was there ever an attempt to apply criteria to the ratings? Just curious.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It appears that you're talking about the ratings for the news stories (positive/negative) which are different from the thread ratings (1-5 stars) in your title.

Regardless, this topic comes up every once in a while...here's one from just a few days ago. I just don't pay any attention to the ratings. :cool:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Not much point in the Positive/Negitive ratings as most of it is done out of spite rather then the usefulness of the information.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
I never pay any attention to the ratings. Accordingly, I never vote either!

SMM

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
It appears that you're talking about the ratings for the news stories (positive/negative) which are different from the thread ratings (1-5 stars) in your title.

Regardless, this topic comes up every once in a while...here's one from just a few days ago. I just don't pay any attention to the ratings. :cool:

Wildcowboy - I guess that one just slipped by me, and yes that was what I was referring to. Sorry for duplicating the same subject.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
seems arn himself doesnt know what the thread / story ratings are for.

I suspect he's leaving it in as something to amuse people and make the site look more interactive.

My votes never seem to show up in the totals anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.