why remove the Apple logo from the command key?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nhw, Aug 8, 2007.

1. nhw macrumors member

A bit sad that theres no apple logo on the command key. if anything, they should remove the word and just put an apple logo on it. I can live with out the number pad, but no apple logo? no go

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

well. it is the command key. tell someone who's not in-the-know to press "command-q" to quit, and that person won't know wtf you're talking about. i think this is a move to help all the noobs coming to the mac platform. i only wish they had written "cmd" and not the full word out so that the command symbol (<dt>⌘</dt> in html) could be on the bottom and not up on top.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Yeah, it did kind of overcomplicate things at times; "hold down the Apple/Command key with the four leaf clover on it". Still sad to see it go :(

4. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yeah but complication was worth it imo to still have apart of apple, well, be apple...

guess apple is now for its new customers, and their old loyal customers don't matter to much.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

you have got to be kidding me with this. get over yourself. :rolleyes:

6. bartelby macrumors Core

That's just what I was thinking, but in a more polite way...

7. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

It's a little sad, but I think we'll live. It was a cute little apple, though. :apple:

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Get a Sharpie and draw one on, problem solved:D

9. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

Don't be cheeky or I'll have to bust out the disciplinarian librarian. But seriously, I have been considering ways to get an all silver wireless keyboard. Paint has crossed my mind. And I see no reason that I can't put the little apple back where she belongs. :D

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Yes, ma'am. Sorry Ma'am.

P.S. The apple is male. They got rid of the female one a whiles back. :D

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was thinking it in a less polite way. :D

I had taken to telling people to press Apple-C or whatever, most of the time, since if I told people Command, they would give me a blank look. Of course, now, n00bs are going to google for things and see references to the Apple key all over the web and be all wtfbbq. :( Oh, wait, what am I saying? n00bs don't search. :rolleyes: ;)

I guess they should do whatever their direction takes them in, but the Apple seems better to me than Command, since it's universal and not language bound. Presumably, Command will say something different outside of English speaking countries, and this will be more confusing.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/catmacros/omgwtfwedonow.jpg

seriously, I think it will be ok. I'll kind of miss the little apple but I don't think it's a sign of the apocalypse or anything not to have it.

13. kingofkolt macrumors 6502

I'm in open-jawed shock that this thread is even happening...

14. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

1. To not overuse the logo. I've never seen anyone discover that they are indeed sitting in front of a Mac by noticing the logo on the keyboard.

2. To make room for the word 'command.' So went you tell someone to hit 'command-P' to print, maybe just maybe they'll be able to find the button themselves.

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

15. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Not that I really care if it's there or not (I mean, I'm not looking at the key when I hit it, I know where it is) but after reading this thread I have noticed that with people I've convinced to switch to macs I always tell them things like "Apple Q to quit" or "Apple H to hide" even though I know it's command...

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here but this is really a non-issue folks since it's just as easy to say "Command Q to quit."

17. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

18. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I tend to have memory on some old Apple ][ there were Open Apple and Closed Apple buttons. So when I tell people to use commands like copy and paist I say Open Apple C, Open Apple V. I am not really that sad to see it go away though... I much rather have a logo free Keyboard, I can't tell you how much I hate seeing windows logos on other keyboards even if I am not running windows on it... Or the computer is not even capapeable of running windows. The same with the apple logo... I got myself the extended apple keyboard with USB yesterday just because it has just as many keys as a VT Terminal doing a lot of programming on a Vax this keyboard will be a big help for me... But other then that the normal one on my MacBook is fine... and the externalone I hook up to at work PC is good enough too.

19. kolax macrumors G3

Haha genius!

Are the keys actually the same size, clips etc?

20. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I found it odd they put it on there.
    I found it odd they took it off.

Like you people I am never satisfied, and always bitchy.
    So I own an Apple?

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it isn't a non-issue. most people won't know what you're talking about when you say, "command-q." they'll ask, "what? where's command?"
    "the apple key, press apple-q. that apple thing, it's the command key."

you could have avoided all that by simply saying "apple-q" in the first place. i'm actually kind of glad to see the apple go. :)

22. kingofkolt macrumors 6502

If they can't figure out that the command key is the one that says "command," methinks they shouldn't be operating a computer.

23. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I would like it to stay. What's next? the apple on our laptops. If I wanted a Dell I'd buy one.

24. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Off topic. Is there like a huge depository for these images?