Why Resizing photos on Macbook Sucks So Much ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by augustya, Jan 4, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Hey Guys,

I come from a Windows Background have been using windows for more then 10 Years now before I got my first Macbook Pro 13 inch and though gradually I am trying to learn new things everyday of using the Macbook more effectively. There is one thing that is annoying me very much is, I have saved some photos on My Macbook Desktop which are basically taken from iPhone so they are large in size. around 5-10 MB I want to resize it in some KB so as to be able to send it quicker and also the other person can open it faster. Does Macbook does not have an option like as you have in windows where you go to say a APP like Paintbrush open your photos in Paint brush and then save it as, the size of the photo drastically decreases. But sadly there is nothing of that sort in Macbook only option I could find is click on the photo open as preview>go to tools>and adjust size but this option hardly does anything all it did was from a size of 5.6 MB it reduced my file size to 5.2 MB I mean cmon you must be joking to tell me that my files size has reduced any thing. I mean is it some kind of Joke ? Thats no quality of job compared to how windows does this thing. Any better options ?

Thanks !

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Wait. You're complaining that your Mac, without an application similar to one you used with Windows, cannot do something? Here's what I found in a quick search for "paintbrush software":

Paintbrush is a simple paint program for Mac OS X, reminiscent of Microsoft Paint and Apple’s own now-defunct MacPaint.

Though I'm not familiar with this software, apparently you didn't have it on a non-Mac computer, as Paintbrush is for Mac. Find out if it will do what you want, then buy it, install it, and your problem is solved.

The page I quoted from also says this:

Paintbrush can open and save to most major image formats, including BMP, PNG, JPEG, TIFF, and GIF.

Here's the link: http://paintbrush.sourceforge.net/

3. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I just downloaded this to my desktop computer with Leopard, and it works amazingly great.

I do have Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, but it is always fun to experiment.

Just wondering if it works with Mavericks.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I suggest you download and try "Graphic Converter".

It has numerous photo resizing options, easy to access and to understand.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Preview (part of OS X) will allow you to Adjust the size of a photo, it will also allow you to Export it using various options.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Sorry op why do you need an app? If your as you say sending the image why don't you select the size from the mail options??

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

As already stated, Preview works for OP purposes.
    I also downloaded Paintbrush to a Mac with 10.7, and it works.
    Before I download it to my new MacBook Pro Retina, I would like to hear if it works with 10.9.

8. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Hmmmm....let's see...I will try this :)

9. rcoyote macrumors newbie

I use iPhoto

I'm not a high end mac user.. but maybe my simple approach will help. If you import your photos into iPhoto which is easy... one way is highlight the photos you want and drag them into your iPhoto button on the bottom bar (if its there) then when either highlight all the photos or highlight the new event you created and export them to a new folder at whatever quality you want... it's actually much easier than a pc in my opinion. You just have to get comfortable with folders and getting organized on a mac... something I'm not good at yet on either a mac or pc... always some hassle... but just do it till it works... to the most part you can drag around folders wherever you want them if you don't like where they are originally.. good luck