Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I wonder why Safari behaves so badly. On Facebook - you cannot send a photo in a messenger (internal one), it is never sent, you have to use either external Messenger app (which is not very good either) or Chrome - there it sends immediately (either original or copy image). You want to publish a new post with photos on business FB page, after clicking on publish it often keeps "publishing" forever. After making it in Chrome, it is published immediately. For a long time messages from business FB sites could not be read, also business apps in FB. It is not a question of a particular computer but it behaves the same on few different ones.

Another annoying bug: on every YouTube video there is and audio drop at 2-3 sec. Another browser clean ...

I would suppose that a dedicated Apple browser would behave much better and I wonder why nobody minds it and they don't make it working as any other standard browsers. I don't feel like using Chrome or Mozilla but the problems are annoying with Safari (especially FB and Youtube) that seems no other choice.

Reactions: steve333

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I wonder why Safari behaves so badly. On Facebook - you cannot send a photo in a messenger (internal one), it is never sent, you have to use either external Messenger app (which is not very good either) or Chrome - there it sends immediately (either original or copy image). You want to publish a new post with photos on business FB page, after clicking on publish it often keeps "publishing" forever. After making it in Chrome, it is published immediately. For a long time messages from business FB sites could not be read, also business apps in FB. It is not a question of a particular computer but it behaves the same on few different ones.

Another annoying bug: on every YouTube video there is and audio drop at 2-3 sec. Another browser clean ...

I would suppose that a dedicated Apple browser would behave much better and I wonder why nobody minds it and they don't make it working as any other standard browsers. I don't feel like using Chrome or Mozilla but the problems are annoying with Safari (especially FB and Youtube) that seems no other choice.
Thank you! After updating to Safari 15.2 suddenly I'm not getting all comment and group update notifications and none of my settings have changed. Facebook also hangs and sometimes I have to re-start the page to get the notifications drop-down to work. I blamed it on the adblocker but I've tried 3 different ones and now back to 1Blocker since it works the best. Nothing has helped, not deleting all web data, not turning off the adblockers, nothing.
It's driving me crazy especially since everything on my Mini started working great after the update to Monterey since the last OS sucked for me.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Delete website data for FB. Try Wipr. in the App Store.
I don't think this could be the problem since it is doing the same things even on newly installed Macbook M1Pro. Really bad. Not able to send a picture in FB messenger, audio drops on youtube etc etc. In Chrome all works perfectly. I wonder how can Apple make such a work.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
In Safari a picture in FB messenger is never sent:

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 7.55.27.png

In Chrome the same picture is sent immediately:

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 7.55.51.png

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Check for any page-specific errors in the javascript console:

1) Under Preferences -> Advanced, select 'Show Develop menu in menu bar'
2) Then in the problem pages, select Develop -> Show Javascript Console

The messages may give you an indication to what's causing the problem

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Yes, but this is not just my problem, it does not work in general. Maybe Mr. Apple should do this ?

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Yes, but this is not just my problem, it does not work in general. Maybe Mr. Apple should do this ?
Or Mr Facebook, if the problem's with their web pages for everyone!

Either way, without a clear error message, you're not going to be able to tell who needs to fix it or what needs to be done. Everything else is just pointless second guessing.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
If it works perfect in any other browser I am afraid the problem is clearly with Safari

Reactions: quaresma

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Not necessarily. One common cause of these types of problems is if the web page has mixed http:// and https:// sources. Apple decided that this was an unsafe practice and so took the decision to block pages with mixed sources. It's a policy decision they're unlikely to change.

Other browsers are currently more forgiving in this area, but are moving in the same direction (I think Firefox now blocks mixed pages by default).

Regardless, this is all guesswork. More importantly, if you can't be bothered to spend 30 secs switching on the console to actually see if it tells you what the problem is, then why should Apple or anyone else waste time trying to solve your problem?

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Not necessarily. One common cause of these types of problems is if the web page has mixed http:// and https:// sources. Apple decided that this was an unsafe practice and so took the decision to block pages with mixed sources. It's a policy decision they're unlikely to change.

Other browsers are currently more forgiving in this area, but are moving in the same direction (I think Firefox now blocks mixed pages by default).

Regardless, this is all guesswork. More importantly, if you can't be bothered to spend 30 secs switching on the console to actually see if it tells you what the problem is, then why should Apple or anyone else waste time trying to solve your problem?
Well, it is not MY problem. It is problem of Safari (not being able to send pictures in FB Messenger, having sound drops in youtube etc.). Solving it is not wasting time but letting their own products working properly. Even if I find some Java codes etc - what shall I do with them ? I am not a Safari developer.

The truth is that it takes just 1 second to switch to Chrome ;)

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Seems that everybody is happy with Safari working badly in FB , Youtube etc ?

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
No, they aren't. But most people are actually prepared to take steps to try and solve the situation. Again:

if you can't be bothered to spend 30 secs switching on the console to actually see if it tells you what the problem is, then why should Apple or anyone else waste time trying to solve your problem?

me55

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2019
I used to use Wipr, but not anymore: It blocks all these cookie banners, and some websites do not function at all until some selection was made on the cookie banner. Wipr blocks it, therefore breaks the whole website. I've seen it often enough that I switched to another adblocker.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
No, they aren't. But most people are actually prepared to take steps to try and solve the situation. Again:
I see this on facebook page ...
Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 18.24.17.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 18.24.07.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 18.24.07.png
    920.2 KB · Views: 137

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Someone told me to press Option-Command-R while on the page.
I did it and now when I click on a notification it takes me right to the comment without me having to search for it. Hopefully it will last and will start giving me all of my notifications again. Try it and see what happens and report back.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
If it works perfect in any other browser I am afraid the problem is clearly with Safari
Not at all.

Meta are responsible for ensuring their code works everywhere - including Apple Safari.

It's not Apple's job to facilitate Meta's sloppy coding.

And it is sloppy coding - Meta are infamous for this...

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
I’ve had a bunch of problems with different versions of Safari on Facebook messenger and Instagram. At the moment the comments won’t load in Instagram and the messages won’t load in messenger. It works in Chrome and even relatively older versions of Firefox. Idk what to say, Chrome is the new IE. a lot of sites target it specifically and don’t really test with other browsers. I filed a couple bugs with Facebook but so far nothing has changed. ?

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Most of those errors show you're blocking fbcdn, with is their content delivery network. Are you running any sort of ad blocker or little snitch? It seems you're blocking fbcdn - should be easy to figure out where. FB runs fine on my M1 Mini Safari.
Yes, I use adguard. What is fbcdn ?

Monotremata

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2019
Fontana, CA
Not at all.

Meta are responsible for ensuring their code works everywhere - including Apple Safari.

It's not Apple's job to facilitate Meta's sloppy coding.

And it is sloppy coding - Meta are infamous for this...

My favorite part is when you just leave the website open in a tab for about 10 minutes and come back and you get the warning that its using excessive memory and needs to be closed without having touched anything. They have some GREAT coders working on their backend over there in FB Land..

Reactions: Artiste212

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
To keep Safari running properly on my M1Pro, I have to enable the develop menu and delete the caches several times during use. Caches are supposed to make things faster and easier, but on Safari in Monterey, they really bog down the action, and steal memory. I also dl Memory Diag, and use it to constantly recycle memory after deleting the cashes.

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Yes, I use adguard. What is fbcdn ?
I believe it is how they send streams - video, etc. If adguard is blocking that, you may not be able to use FB properly. Does adguard offer only block/no block? If it offers a chance to unblock certain trackers, then try unblocking fbcdn on Facebook only. That shoud fix it. Otherwise, you may have to "whitelist" (stop blocking) Facebook completely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.