Why Safari never cache anything?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fabiano, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Fabiano macrumors regular

Please, someone answer me, why Safary never cache anything? Its a pain to surf the net over Wireless celular network, every time I load the same website Safari transfer again all the images flash etc... At first I was thinking that It was a bug, but my Macbook pro is all updated... Is it really a normal behavior of Safari? Im forced to actually use Firefox because of this. Too bad.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is caused by one of two things:
    1. The website(s) you're visiting use a no-cache header.
    2. Safari doesn't have write permission for its cache file.
    The first problem you can't do anything about. The second one is easily fixed. Just open your user folder, then Library. The next step depends on what version of Mac OS X and Safari you have.

Leopard users, and Tiger users with Safari 3.0 or later:
    Open the Safari folder. Look for a file with "cache" in its name - this is where Safari caches things. If this file doesn't exist, check the Safari folder itself by Getting Info on it, then looking at Ownership and Permissions. You should have write access.

Tiger users without Safari 3.0, and all prior versions of Mac OS X:
    Open Caches, then look for a folder called Safari. You might also find a com.apple.Safari folder - check this one too by Getting Info on it, opening the Ownership and Permissions section, and making sure you have write access.

3. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Because it's face hurts from your appalling grammar and spelling... j/k:p

4. LowEnder macrumors member

@DRAYTHOR...I see you are joking, but I wish I could write Portugese just half as well!

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

OP, are you by any chance using Safari's 'private browsing' feature. This could keep the browser from caching web page data.

6. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Im sorry but English is not my primary linguage. Im trying to do my best.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before you criticize anyone's grammar or spelling, you might want to make note of where they're from. If someone's primary language is other than English, remember that English is one of the hardest languages to learn.
    Picture 3.jpg
    This would be my first guess.
    Picture 4.jpg

8. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for helping... but come on, Im not that stupid. I know what is private mode. :)

And actually, english is not that hard at all... you should try chinese :eek:

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That should be "its face"...your grammar is appalling. ;)

In any case, Safari doesn't cache large items (as in >1GB). Also the total cache size seems not very big, and there isn't really a way to increase it, so if you visit a number of sites, then go back to the first one, the items might already have been deleted from the cache.

--Eric

10. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

Just to make you now that its working again. Though I still dont now what caused it to stop caching... it was happening since some time ago, and started to driving me crazy at the point I gave up and started using Firefox... but again Safari is ok. I cleaned up all the cache files and updated the computer again, now seems that everything is OK. Anyway, thanks for helping.