Why selling the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rei101, Jun 11, 2014.

1. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I was realizing that even when a computer still working just fine, there is a period where it can be sold at a good price.

After that the price will drop big time and it would be better to keep it and still using it than selling it, eventually you will end up with a piece of hardware that won't be competitive.

I have a 2010 iMac, I was about to sell it for $1000 but the new iMac is coming out with a good price. Now, my current iMac will drop price big time. I am thinking in keeping it but I already have a 2008 Mac Pro as my "legacy" machine.

I was realizing that each 3 years is a time to replace machines, specially in my case that I work with video and motion graphics. In my office I am using thunderbolt which is a very good technology, very reliable and any of my machines has it.

Any way, I was just sharing this dissertation about this issue.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a good way to recuperate some money to put towards a more modern machine every three years. I personally do not follow that method as I am surrounded by PowerPC Macs though...

3. dextr3k macrumors 6502

I think it is more the fact that people aren't willing to buy tech products that they perceive to be older than 3 years. It does seem to be a sweet spot.

I recently sold my 2010 iMac for $1000 and I feel like it was a good deal. I will save up some money and put it towards a new imac in the future, or maybe even a 15" rMBP.

Apples seem to retain their value very nicely, as a 3 year old PC will never fetch anywhere near the 50% value that Apple machines seem to be able to fetch. I plan on selling my current 13" rMBP at their 3 year mark too.