Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Variables

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I own a high-end gaming desktop PC, but am looking for a new notebook for University. I have zero experience with Mac OS X and have never owned a Mac.

I'm looking for some reasons to convince me that purchasing a MacBook Pro is a good idea. Generally, I'll be using the notebook for schoolwork, but I'd also like it to be able to play Starcraft II competently. I'm looking at the i5 or i7 15'' models.

So, why should I switch from PC to Mac, any good reasons? :)

electricmagic

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
I just made the switch myself and couldn't be happier. I have the 13" dual core 2.4 ghz MBP, it runs like a champ all the time. I was skeptical of the dual core, but it never slows down even with multiple applications (Programs, as they are called in windows) running. I play Starcraft 2 as well, looks good on OS X, though I hear it runs even better in Bootcamp. Looks good enough for me though to not go through the trouble of running Bootcamp. I also love the portability of it, the battery lasts forever, though I plug mine in when I play SC2. The keyboard light is badass too, using it right now haha because its dark in here. The system stays dead quiet when doing normal stuff and with multiple applications running. The fans start up when playing SC2 but never become too loud, never as loud as any windows notebooks I've heard. The i5 or i7 will run even smoother and SC2 could probably look even better when running on OS X.
The one driving factor for me was the processor, I really wanted on i5 but couldn't afford the MBP i5, so I was almost going to buy a Windows ASUS i5, but I am extremely pleased with my 13" dual core MBP.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard versus Windows 6.1 Seven

I switched, because I didn't like Windows anymore, Windows 2000 and XP SP2, and my Samsung notebook was crapping out, though it was only the HDD.

I bought a 1GHz iBook G4 with a 12" display and Mac OS X 10.3.x and couldn't be happier. It had less specs than my desktop PC (2GHz AMD Athlon CPU, 1.5GB RAM, semi-professional GPU 3Dlabs VP870), but I rarely touched my PC until I sold it, and I used quite intensive applications like Avid Xpress DV and Photoshop and Combustion, sometimes even with an external display.

The iBook felt faster and more streamlined, and Mac OS X was more built around my needs, especially the interface, Exposé has just been added. Windows was just a dumb ****, and I built a few PCs and know how to troubleshoot some problems in Windows, even though that knowledge is fading.

In the end it comes down to the OS and which is better suited for your needs and how you think.

I installed the Windows 6.1 beta once last year and I couldn't stand the interface and how it looks, it is not really easy on the eyes and too in your face. Mac OS X is more subtle and does not really plague you with many status messages and the like.

Btw, if you use MRoogle (my sig), you can find countless threads asking the same questions.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I own a high-end gaming desktop PC, but am looking for a new notebook for University. I have zero experience with Mac OS X and have never owned a Mac.

I'm looking for some reasons to convince me that purchasing a MacBook Pro is a good idea. Generally, I'll be using the notebook for schoolwork, but I'd also like it to be able to play Starcraft II competently. I'm looking at the i5 or i7 15'' models.

..if not having to deal with windows is a good reason for you! you always can run bootcamped windows though which might give you an edge in starcraft or not (don't know how well sc2 performs under macosx)

as for me:
- unix
- compatibility
- spotlight
- superior overall performance and responsiveness
- no need to run all those programs to keep my tool running (anti-virus etc)
- portability in case of system failure
- 2sec into standby, 2 to wake up, 4 into shutdown

Jenko

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I just received my first ever apple product, a 15" MBP i7 and although a little expensive (took me two years to save up for) it is without a doubt the best investment I have made to date.

Before this I had a Dell desktop and I got sick and tired of the constant virus threats and having to run my AVG security every time I turned it on and boy was it slow.

It got to a stage that all my PC was meant for was continuous security updates that took up all of my memory.

Besides all that this MBP just feels so much more responsive. I have only just started to see the capabilities of this laptop (it is also my first laptop purchase) and have a lot more to discover, but it is just so much more user friendly, very powerful and really fast.

I for one will not be returning to windows and will stick with MACOSX, this thing is a joy to use not a chore like the PC.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The i5 macbook is my first ever mac product. Moving from windows I would say its definitely worth it. Starcraft runs flawlessly on the macbook on bootcamp, also the quality of the macbook will top out any windows notebook out there

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
My $0.02 from owning a mac for about 2 years:

Pros:
- Design - looks / feels awesome and luxurious
- Extremely good build quality
- OS X is much easier to use than Win (changing setting, connecting devices, sharing files/internet/whatever is really painless compared to PC's). The OS feels much more stable / thought through than win.
- Portable - my 13" is perfect for travel, and I love the sleep mode - just close the lid and it powers down with minimal power consumption, and when you open the lid you're back to what you were doing in literally 2 seconds.
- Quiet - my MBP is usually impossible to hear if it's on or not unless I play 3d games.

Cons:
- You don't copy/paste with ctrl-c and ctrl-v, but use the Command key instead of ctrl. This was driving me nuts for about 2 months until I adapted :)
- No home/end and delete buttons, that I also used a lot on PC
- Finder is, to be honest, worthless. I use PathFinder as a replacement now and it works ok.
- Not as much software. Most major PC program exist (office, photoshop, firefox etc) but some software you're used to might not exist. Usually there are reasonable replacements though.
- Price (let's face it, they ARE more expensive than matching pc hardware)
- Gaming - while you can run games like SC2 on mac, they do run much better on windows. It sure is playable, but if you wanna squeeze out more FPS or run on higher settings, you still need bootcamp.

Overall, in my opinion, the pro's are quite big and the con's not that big.. So I'd definitely recommend getting a macbook. There might be a "learning threshold" for a few weeks where you get annoyed with details ("Hey! Why is the menu at the top of the screen and not in the application window!?"), but it'll pass fast and then you'll wonder why you ever used Windows before ;) Best of luck!

EDIT: Oh, and some additional tips - the 15" perhaps don't look that much smaller than a 17", but they are much more portable. If you're using it for university, don't get the 17" - it's just too bulky. Also, university often means sitting in well-lit rooms with lights in the ceiling and big windows - get the antiglare option or you'll only have a very pricey mirror :)

slawo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Why why?

Hi!

If you need some reasons to get convinced, have a look here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/why-mac.html :)

But seriously was in the same situation as you a couple of years back...
But after 3 broken dell laptops and an overpriced Compaq Workstation dying on me I thought it would be a good time for a switch.
I used to work a lot with linux tools and thought about switching away from windows for work.
I ended up buying a Mac instead of a Sun workstation... And now I switched away from windows for everything but video games!
I went through multiple Apple Laptops and now settled on the MBP. The hardware inside is good. But the big difference with a dell or lenovo is the computer and the system.

• The computer for a start is SOLID. It really deserves to be capitalized. Mine dropped from around 2m straight on the asphalt and survived with a bump on the side. It doesn't bend when you hold it with one hand contrarly to plastic or other "metal" laptops.
  • The keyboard is really a pleasure to use (it took me some time to get used to it). It's backlit if you don't know your keys, and the system enables you to quickly type most foreign characters with the option key.
  • The trackpad is simply the best I have ever used... It took me a couple of days to get used to it... But now impossible to go back.
  • it is well equipped with a good display (you can see the difference with other laptops and computer screens), Mini-Display Port with audio (finally!), optical and analogue audio out and in, the audio jack accepts any headset with a mic and remote compatible with iPhone/iPod, it has a battery indicator on the side (no need to open the lid to check the battery level).
  • The system is efficient, and the applications are made to be used, not maintained by the user. It takes just a couple of seconds to wake and standby.
  • System updates don't cripple your computer. I mean it! I updated different macs with different versions of OS X and each time the performances were the same or better. When I updated the Macbook Air to snow leopard I even got 8GB back on the small HDD.
  • If you are a student in computing it's the best choice. You have access to a POSIX system, if you know UNIX or have some work to do with UNIX you will be familiar with the command-line tools. You can develop for Windows, Windows mobile, Xbox, PS, linux, Mac OS X, iPhone, Android with only one computer!
  • Applications: you can run linux applications by simply recompiling them. Or you can also run some windows software with Crossover or nearly all windows programs in a virtual machine.
  • You can run windows in a virtual machine or natively from the same partition if you need it (so no need to install 2 copies of windows).
  • Steam works fine on OSX and there are still some games coming out on the mac. There will probably be more and more in the future as OSX becomes mainstream.
  • If you travel or stay abroad for a semester or two, your computer is covered in any country in which Apple Care exists, other brands require you to get a special extension for your warranty. You can have your mac repaired in any Apple store in the world... There are no Dell stores I'm aware of.
  • Price, It's the same price or cheaper as any pro workstation I have owned.

There are numerous advantages to a MBP, but if you have always used window, it will take some time to get used to OSX.

If you need to work on MS Office documents with other people, get MS Office for Mac. But wait for Office 2011 to be released in October.
Otherwise you should use iWork... It really is better than the current version of MS Office (for what I do on a daily basis at least) and much cheaper.

Anyway, you might find a better laptop elsewhere, better for your needs at least, just trust your guts.

Good luck!

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Hi!

If you need some reasons to get convinced, have a look here: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/why-mac.html :)

But seriously was in the same situation as you a couple of years back...
But after 3 broken dell laptops and an overpriced Compaq Workstation dying on me I thought it would be a good time for a switch.
I used to work a lot with linux tools and thought about switching away from windows for work.
I ended up buying a Mac instead of a Sun workstation... And now I switched away from windows for everything but video games!
I went through multiple Apple Laptops and now settled on the MBP. The hardware inside is good. But the big difference with a dell or lenovo is the computer and the system.

• The computer for a start is SOLID. It really deserves to be capitalized. Mine dropped from around 2m straight on the asphalt and survived with a bump on the side. It doesn't bend when you hold it with one hand contrarly to plastic or other "metal" laptops.
  • The keyboard is really a pleasure to use (it took me some time to get used to it). It's backlit if you don't know your keys, and the system enables you to quickly type most foreign characters with the option key.
  • The trackpad is simply the best I have ever used... It took me a couple of days to get used to it... But now impossible to go back.
  • it is well equipped with a good display (you can see the difference with other laptops and computer screens), Mini-Display Port with audio (finally!), optical and analogue audio out and in, the audio jack accepts any headset with a mic and remote compatible with iPhone/iPod, it has a battery indicator on the side (no need to open the lid to check the battery level).
  • The system is efficient, and the applications are made to be used, not maintained by the user. It takes just a couple of seconds to wake and standby.
  • System updates don't cripple your computer. I mean it! I updated different macs with different versions of OS X and each time the performances were the same or better. When I updated the Macbook Air to snow leopard I even got 8GB back on the small HDD.
  • If you are a student in computing it's the best choice. You have access to a POSIX system, if you know UNIX or have some work to do with UNIX you will be familiar with the command-line tools. You can develop for Windows, Windows mobile, Xbox, PS, linux, Mac OS X, iPhone, Android with only one computer!
  • Applications: you can run linux applications by simply recompiling them. Or you can also run some windows software with Crossover or nearly all windows programs in a virtual machine.
  • You can run windows in a virtual machine or natively from the same partition if you need it (so no need to install 2 copies of windows).
  • Steam works fine on OSX and there are still some games coming out on the mac. There will probably be more and more in the future as OSX becomes mainstream.
  • If you travel or stay abroad for a semester or two, your computer is covered in any country in which Apple Care exists, other brands require you to get a special extension for your warranty. You can have your mac repaired in any Apple store in the world... There are no Dell stores I'm aware of.
  • Price, It's the same price or cheaper as any pro workstation I have owned.

There are numerous advantages to a MBP, but if you have always used window, it will take some time to get used to OSX.

If you need to work on MS Office documents with other people, get MS Office for Mac. But wait for Office 2011 to be released in October.
Otherwise you should use iWork... It really is better than the current version of MS Office (for what I do on a daily basis at least) and much cheaper.

Anyway, you might find a better laptop elsewhere, better for your needs at least, just trust your guts.

Good luck!

+1 couldn't have said it better.

Stingray's comment about cut & paste, ignores the fact that with the trackpad you can enable the lower corner to be a right click which will serve these two purposes, at least it does on my 15MBP.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
+1 couldn't have said it better.

Stingray's comment about cut & paste, ignores the fact that with the trackpad you can enable the lower corner to be a right click which will serve these two purposes, at least it does on my 15MBP.

I agree, nice points by Slawo.

About the cut & paste, are you referring to right-clicking and selecting copy or paste from the context menu? If so, I don't agree. I develop software and spend an awful lot of time in text editors, and using the mouse to select copy / paste from a menu is just too slow compared to the key combination. But, as I said, it doesn't take long to adjust to cmd-c and cmd-v, so it's not a major issue :) It's just when you're hitting ctrl-combinations for 15 years+, and then move the ctrl button, you get a bit confused :D. If the OP doesn't rely much on key combinations for editing it's not even an issue.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
why shouldn't you, their the perfect machines, even for running windows, which will always be a flawed setup though :p

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
The battery life is pretty sweet, considering the performance. I am in for the durability aspect as well. With an SSD (even a mediocre unit), it is incredibly responsive.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Personally, I find MBPs to be the perfect compliment to a custom built PC. Now, I would never own an Apple desktop (Worked as an Apple repair tech for 10 years and to this day, don't see the point as none of them have ever really impressed me since the Intel swap), but I find the MBPs to be among the best notebooks out there (with the exception of the air).

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
I just switched last Friday. I have never had any type of Apple computer and I couldn't be happier. It only took me about an hour to figure out OS X and it just works. Zero crashes, no errors and will do just about everything I need. Yes, I still have a quad core gaming PC but I won't be using a PC laptop again.

I can even play WoW at med settings without issue. I am very happy even though the price is higher and the hardware is a bit lacking in the base model "Pro." If I could add one USB port, that would make it just right for me. Not to mention they hold great resale value compared to a PC laptop.

Kinkade

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
California
I got my first Mac right after Apple introduced the Intel iMacs, and it was the best computer I ever owned up until the 15" MacBook Pro I got a few weeks ago.

I grew up on Windows and used every version from 3.1 to XP, and I got tired of the constant problems that I would have with Windows machines. Not to mention the problems my family would come to me with.

The reason I use Mac is because it is a better user experience. Everything from the OS to the machines themselves have better quality in my opinion then comparable computers from other manufacturers.

However I also own a 6 year old Toshiba laptop that has been great, and I continued to use it after I switched. Nothing ever went wrong with it, and it was an awesome laptop. But when I needed a new portable computer I still opted for a Mac.

Best reason to switch though is so you aren't the family tech support guy anymore. I'm so out of touch with Windows that I accidentally use cmd+ instead of ctrl+ on a windows machines all the time when I have to use them. Iv'e barley even used Vista or 7.

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
because i just purchased my second macbook and it is AMAZING!!! had the first macbook 2.16 ghz c2d for 4 years and now i have a 15" macbook pro 2.66 ghz i7 !!! and it is amazing, light and ergonomic, and yet powerful as hell and the OS is just top notch

Mac my day

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Now that you can run a windows environment on a Mac it can do pretty much anything a PC can do. The question is why shouldn't you buy a Mac? As for Star Craft 2, I see absolutely no problem with the way it runs on a OS X. Blizzard released to run on this platform and run very well it does.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Now that you can run a windows environment on a Mac it can do pretty much anything a PC can do. The question is why shouldn't you buy a Mac? As for Star Craft 2, I see absolutely no problem with the way it runs on a OS X. Blizzard released to run on this platform and run very well it does.

SC2 runs quite noticeably better under Windows 7 on my MBP.

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

The only reason not to buy a Mac is if it is to game and since you got that well then there is no reason not to

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
just get one to blend in with the rest. Half of the students on universities have macbooks.

I've advised 6 people who go to university to get one, and they all thought that was good advise and got one.

I use a macbook pro myself.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth

The differences can be seen if you look at some of the resources on the Apple site. They have some great info for switchers that migrate from a PC to a Mac. The differences that you can expect, etc.

I personally like them both. I've used ThinkPads _and_ Mac Laptops for years. They used to be called PowerBooks, then Apple renamed the line MacBook Pro. I've had just over twelve of each brand. ThinkPads are the best PC based Laptops. In most areas they compare nearly identically with a Mac. Some areas such as connectivity ThinkPads are more modern, as they offer 3G built in and other features that Apple has ignored. You will also pay (as I did) a very heavy premium in out of pocket cash for the computer with the Apple logo.

Reasons to switch? It's truly up to you and only you, as until you've used one, there is no way to know what you think of it. Spend some time and try one in an Apple Store, that's one way to get a peek at what the experience will be like.

Good Luck

Random Gecko

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
London, England
I made the switch a week ago and couldn't be happier. I got the 13.3" MacBook Pro and it's definitely on a different level to the two machines it has replaced - a 2006 VAIO notebook and a Dell desktop. I much prefer OS X to Windows already too.

Do it.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I've had my macbook pro 15" now for 2 months and for some reason I only use the macbook for my itunes and little bit of browsing the internet here and there.. other than that I keep going back to using my sony 17" laptop for everything else from e-mails, downloading music, movies, playing PC games etc.

I keep thinking to myself, why I even bought the macbook pro.

The only thing I can come up with on the advantages of the macbook is no worries with viruses, looks, quality build aluminum versus plastic... and thats about it. Yes, the macbook is nice to look at, touch, and has the "cool factor" in appearance..

Once my Sony dies, I would end up using the macbook as my primary PC I guess...

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
you want people to convince you to buy a mac? in that case i dont think you should get a mac, only get something if you want it and can come up with reasons by yourself.

also if u want a gaming laptop id suggest the alienware m11x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.