Why should I buy a new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mainbeam, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Mainbeam macrumors member

Mainbeam

Hi, I love the look of the new iPad and all its features but I can't seem to justify buying one. I have a kindle for book reading, my iPhone for music, surfing the web, playing games etc. The only thing that tempts me is subscribing to magazines and reading them on the iPad. The iPhone screen is too small to read for long periods of time. What have your experiences been with the 3rd generation iPad and what would you suggest?

Thanks

2. 99problems macrumors newbie

100 views and no replies, LOL

90% of my iPad use comes from me sitting on the couch and reading. I read for probably close to 2 hours everyday, so for me it's worth it. I have an iPhone and iMac - so it kind of fills a gap for me where most might have a laptop. Even still, I could go without it. I don't get that much else out of mine. I use Twitter on it a lot, the very occasional 2 minutes of a game.

Would you watch video on it at all? For traveling maybe?

3. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If you can't justify to yourself a reason to buy one, then you don't need one.

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Well I initially got the iPad as a reader... i got some ebooks for college and everything was so simple on the iPad [nothing like a traditional textbook, but when you are saving hundreds of bucks, who cares about hardcover, huge textbooks!!. That was my sole purpose- educational...

Yeah, that didn't happen (for the most part)... slowly I entered into the world of game,s internet browsing, and trying out apps (lolz). Right now, I spend majority of my computer time on my desktop, a huge chunk on my iPad and very / almost none on my poor MBP... I went as far as purchasing a bluetooth keyboard ( it was on clearance -about $9 bucks OTD- so it wasn't a terrible price).

I still use it for education (haha you know, playing games while listening to lectures, jk) but it's mainly limited to reading the e(text)books.

My advice, this one is a tough one as your only use seems to be magazine and reading. IMO, i would say go for 3, you certainly would appreciate the retina display, and since you have played with the iPad 3, I' have a feeling you wouldn't really like the iPad 2's screen for reading (but if you are keen on buying an iPad, you would want to check both iPads out and see which is too your liking)

Hope this helps!
    Happy Hunting!!

5. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

6. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

The magazine subs for iPad really isn't worth it. Much much better to get the paper version sent to you via mail. And since you have a Kindle Fire, and I assume you like it, you should just stick to it, unless you are willing to spend the money to replace your Kindle with the iPad, as e-reader.

Also, the retina display is simply amazing. So, that might be a plus point to switch to iPad, if that's what you're hoping to do? If not, then no point really. xD

I am going to get a new iPad soon, I was thinking of the same reasons, like.."Why do I even need an iPad?" and have stuck with that for awhile, till this year in college..I read and did all my homework using my iPhone while I was commuting (an hour long journey just to go to class), plus I have this preference of writing on Excel/Speadsheets..cause it's so much easier to do things on them. And since I can't buy the new retina display MacBook just yet..I decided to go with the iPad as my "study buddy" kinda thing. Hah. =)

7. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Don't buy one. Wait for the iPad 5th generation. ;)

8. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

If you can't find a single use for then you shouldn't really get one. Personally, i use it to most of the stuff I used to do with my personal laptop. I have a desktop at home and work, but the work Mac isn't connected to the Internet for security reasons.

9. boomboom2 macrumors regular

My rule of thumb is if you don't know why you want to buy something, then don't! I am a gadget nerd and must use all my willpower not to buy every new thing that comes out. It takes so much willpower to keep the same phone for even a year :-( haha

10. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors member

Mainbeam

Thanks for everyone's answers, I think I will buy the new iPad! I realized it will help me with my job also,(using PowerPoint slides and PDFs).

11. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

When the iPads came out, I had a look at them in the store, and decided I had no use for one. About 10 months later, my hubby got one for me as a gift. He told me I could return it if I didn't want it. Having both a desktop and laptop, I really wasn't sure how much I would use it, which is why I didn't buy it. After a few hours of use, I determined that my hubby knew me better than I knew myself.

I love to read books, magazines, internet forums etc... I was always at my desk every chance I got. Now I'm truly mobile. Yes my laptop can do some of the same things but its not as convenient as just picking up my iPad. I can read outside, while sitting on my couch etc. And I can easily take it everywhere I go. I now use my iPad about 99% of the time. You will never know how much you'll enjoy or use the iPad until you just get one. You will find yourself using it much more than you can imagine.

Main uses for me are books, internet, podcast, and internet radio. Paired with my bluetooth headset I no longer feel tied down.

12. transphasic macrumors member

13. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

This. Wirelessness is bliss.

I've had computers (counting my Commodores and Amigas) since the 80's. In 2001 I ditched desktops permanently for the potability of laptops as a felt a threshold on power had been reached. I anticipate ditching portable laptops for mobile devices and services (iPhone, iPad, iCloud, Google Docs, Siri, remote servers) in the next few years. I might keep a Mac Mini and Pogo Plug at home but that's about all I'll need.

14. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I got started with computers about the same time you did. I am also eyeing a Mac Mini for my future computer. The Pogo Plug looks interesting. I'm currently using a NAS drive to stream my movies. Wireless truly is bliss. :D