Why should i buy any iDevice ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by holydude, Oct 21, 2013.

1. holydude macrumors regular

I was a happy iOS 6 user with iphone 4s. I also own a 1st gen ipad but now when i am thinking about the iOS / Apple world i am hesitating why should i continue buying their products ?

What i liked on iOS back then was the skeumorphism and how it all worked together. Now in the post PC era where android evolved and companies started to sell more powerful and less expensive hardware it does not seem anymore viable to buy a new apple idevice.

What i don't like on iOS / iDevices

1) look
    This is something what just does not look right. It's complete abomination and looks like Vista for me.

2) animations
    They literally makes me sick even when i turned off parallax effect.

3) no additional benefits
    No benefits + is now more laggy and overall worse user experience

4)glare / reflection
    I am not sure if there is any anti-glare / low reflection tablet but this is what i hate the most here

5) you need to use it for what apple told you to use it
    aka you can't really use it for things it was not intended for

What i like on iOS / idevices

1) It was a usable product
    Back then when android was still young buggy and just did not seem to be usable an apple devices were best on the market. You simply knew what you are getting for your money.

2) profitable for developers
    I like Xcode, objective c and how it is more profitable to write apps for idevices. That's it.

3) unified and uniform design
    It did not look strange and weird back then.

Apple is losing it for me in tablet / phone market. I just don't see any reason to buy it anymore.

I am interested in android devices ...they look more viable and affordable these days but i dislike the whole android philosophy and environment.

On the other hand i still think they make the best notebooks on the market and i can't imagine myself working on anything with windows / linux. This is the field where they are still strong with the sw / hw symbiosis.

2. MiniMoke macrumors member

Yes.........

Your decision, you got the pros and cons, now you can decide

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Even though you write apps for iOS to earn a living, does not have to mean you use it yourself.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Based on your post, you have made a good argument. Now just make your decision. You seem to have the answer. Even I have thought about the other options out there recently.