Why should I buy Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by selaing, Nov 25, 2013.

1. selaing macrumors newbie

I am thinking to buy the Apple TV, but now I have a few questions.

I have a PS3, so I can get Amazon Prime and also Netflix. So why would I need to buy Apple TV?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Apple's Ecosystem: iTunes library, iCloud, Mirroring/Airplay and all-around integration with other IOS/OSX devices.

If all you are interested is Internet Streaming then indeed you don't need an ATV.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I also have a PS3.
    The main reasons for me to buy one soon are:
    - HBO GO
    - AirPlay
    - Mac screen mirroring
    - Elimininate fan noise from PS3 while streaming video
    - Reduce energy consumption and heat generation in my home theater

4. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

AirPlay. If your not interested in that, buy a Roku.

5. imanidiot Suspended

You don't.

6. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Airplay would be the main reason, IMO. One of the most fun, if not mentioned, abilities is to use Airplay so that you can stream a Facetime or Skype session to a large screen TV.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

really? :apple:

8. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I use my Apple TV;
    • Airplay - this means streaming my movies and music held on my mac/iphone/ipad to the tv
    • Airplay - BBC iPlayer (catch up tv)
    • iTunes - I can rent a movie on iTiunes and watch it on Apple TV (I find netflix has zero content I am interested in)
    • view my Vimeo and Youtube channels/subscriptions.
    • Apple TV is small enough to take on holiday/to friends houses to watch content on their tv (most holiday apartments have wifi now)

9. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

How do you set up set up FaceTime via Airplay? I've tried both on my iPad and iPhone and can't get the icon to stream/mirror it to my Apple TV. Is this option only available through Mac's, or is there a setting that I'm missing?

10. dcains macrumors regular

I've got both a jailbroken ATV2 and a Gbox Midnight MX2, and I can no longer get Amazon streaming (I am a Prime member) to work on either system. I get an error message which says something like "error opening stream". Not only that, I got an email from amazon stating that my account had been compromised by a "phishing" attempt. They made me change my account password, which happened within minutes of my trying to stream a movie using the ATV2. Any ideas?

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Have you tried Airplay Mirroring?

12. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you need someone else to convince you that you need it, then you don't.

13. tampasteve macrumors 6502

As Paulrbeers said, it is just mirroring. Here are the directions from Apple:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5209

It makes a great way to use the Apple TV as a large screen for your video calls - especially if you have more than yourself in the call.

This is also a great trick for presentations using your iPad or iPhone.

These two features alone can be a great reason to buy an Apple TV if you do these things. We use the video calls for conferences between offices and the presentation ability for conferences in out office.

14. Benjamin99 macrumors member

I'll have to disagree slightly with this. I prefer my ATV over my Roku. Main reason is for media that I have on a shared library on - the iTunes interface in ATV is so much cleaner and easier to use than Plex imo. I use both daily, and have seriously been considering getting rid of the roku and buying another ATV for my other room. I've not found anything that I've needed the Roku for that ATV doesnt do for me. I rarely use AirPlay, but does come in handy sometimes.

15. tampasteve macrumors 6502

IMO the best reason to have a Roku (over ATV) is the Amazon Prime service - and the lower price point if all you need is media streaming. Yes, you can Airplay mirror Prime streaming to the ATV, but the native Prime streaming is the best part about Roku to me. I have both, basically all I use the Roku for is Prime streaming.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I use my apple TV for:

Netflix
    Love film via airplay (Amazon)
    Airplay with games
    Music
    Watching the movies and TV shows I've purchased on iTunes on my TV
    Viewing my own videos and photos stored on my iOS devices
    Occasionally listen to podcasts

I had the first gen apple TV for many years and spent a long time deciding on whether the update to the third gen was worth it. I think for the airplay feature alone it was more than worth it. Being able to play my old school games like streets of rage, street fighter and mortal combat is really awsome. I thought airplay/mirroring would be restricted to a select list of apps, but I've found that the majority of my apps support it.

17. m1key macrumors member

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

Just set up a role for my father in law and the damn thing asks for a credit card to activate it

Slummy

19. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

ATV is cheaper.

20. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

He already owns a PS3, so how would the aTV being cheaper be relevant?

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Exactly.

Figure out what your needs are, and then look for the device that most matches those needs. No device will match ALL your needs, so you will need to compromise and pick what you can live with and can live without.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Can't you use a gift card instead? Or another iTunes account and then change it?

23. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Good observation. I read it as PS3 vs. ATV.