Why should I buy Time Capsule when I could buy this?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by suburbiton, Mar 12, 2009.

1. suburbiton macrumors member

I want to be able to wirelessly back-up my MacBook Pro as well as have a high-capacity remote hard-drive. So, I could get a 1TB Time Capsule at a cost of £379.

Or I could get a 1TB Western Digital NAS for £143 and, although I actually already have one, an Airport Express for £79 - a total of £222.

So what do I get for my extra £157? I'm ready to be convinced, but as I see it at the moment, the WD option seems cheaper and will have exactly the same functionality.

Any thoughts welcome, please!

2. Everlast macrumors newbie

Everlast

I also got an Airport Express, but last time I checked that the USB port only work for printer. Or you mean the Airport Extreme?

3. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Ah - good point. I'm specifically looking at the Western Digital WDH1NC10000 which has an ethernet, so my understanding is I plug the ethernet into the AirPort Express and it then joins my wifi network and shows up as an external drive on my Mac.

I think that will work. I think that's the idea of the WD drive....

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=586

4. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

And I wonder - if I do this, could I have media files on the HD and access them using Apple TV?

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

You get everything in one tidy package instead of having 2 pieces with a usb wire connecting the two. If you are a neat freak or a minimalist the extra money is worth it. If not then just save the money for something else.

6. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Excellent - thanks. It's all going to be hidden in the home office anyway, so with the money I'm saving I'm going to get Apple TV. Simples!

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Be careful which model you get.

Don't buy the older Blue Ring version, as it isn't very good.

8. vorkorsigan macrumors member

You can't do this with an Express, you need and Extreme. The Express only works with a printer as already said. I would recommend the Extreme though, if your needs get really big just add on a USB RAID 5 array or DROBO and you are up to 6 to 8 Gb storage with redundancy.

Order is already in

:)

9. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Wrong. The Express only works with a printer via the USB. This HDD is a NAS, so it works on an ethernet network - and will work with the Express.

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope, won't work.

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You going to be doing manual back-ups or are you wanting to use Time Machine with your NAS? Time Machine by default will not work with anything but the TC, but there is a terminal hack for that, you will have to enter this code
    to get your Time Machine to see the NAS and therefore back up to it. Restart and it should work. Keep in mind that this is unsupported and could cause issues with your data, I have never tried it.

12. belvdr macrumors 601

13. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I think that might work- if you put the Express into bridge mode.

14. belvdr macrumors 601

I didn't know you could do that. If so, then it is as easy as it sounds.

15. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

You all pipe-up now that I've actually ordered the drive!

The WD website seems to suggest it's as simple as plugging into a wifi router (which the Express is, no?) and you're away.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Maybe? Sounds like he's looking to do the second bullet below.

As long as his existing wireless network is run by another Airport, he can buy an Express and have it act as a bridge.

If his existing wireless network *isn't* run by another Airport, then yeah, it'd probably be more of a PITA than not. I know some models of Linksys can be hacked to support WDS, but from what I've read from other overseas forum members here, the modem/router combo they get with their internet is never Linksys.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515?viewlocale=en_US#2

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Express only has one Ethernet jack and that's normally where the broadband modem plugs in. So if your modem is plugged into that jack, you have no place on an Express to plug in the drive.

18. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

The question for the OP is whether or not the Express is the only router. If so, it can't be done because there aren't enough ethernet ports....

19. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, not explained myself fully - here's the (desired) set-up:

In the lounge - HDTV, Apple TV, Hi-Fi, AirPort Express plugged into my broadband router and the hi-fi.

In my office - a second AirPort Express plugged into a printer and the new 1TB WD NAS drive.

The desired result is to be able to stream my iTunes (stored on my MBP) to Apple TV or APE 1 and then to my Hi-Fi, stream movies from my MBP or from the NAS drive via my MBP to Apple TV and onto my HDTV, be able to back-up wirelessly (ideally using TM), be able to print wirelessly.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Where have you ordered it from? It seems like a good price for the new model.

21. belvdr macrumors 601

That should work then.

22. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

ebuyer - came to £151 with next day delivery.

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I've tried this before with the Express, it doesn't work.

24. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can use an Express in ProxySTA mode. In this mode you connect your device via ethernet to the Express, which then acts as a bridge to ANY other wireless router.

You configure it by enabling wireless clients for the express in airport utility.

Search for ProxySTA here - http://www.macworld.com/article/132754/2008/03/express11n.html

25. suburbiton thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. If there's any problems when the drive arrives tomorrow, I can assure you I'll be back on here begging for help!