why should I get an Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by woozor1, Oct 2, 2016.

1. woozor1 macrumors regular

Ok I am interested in the Apple Watch I like the design. However I've never worn a watch in my life never been a fan of them. What cool things can sway me to go for the Apple Watch.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The primary benefit of the watch is, IMO, that it greatly frees you from your phone. I hadn't realized it, but the act of having my phone on me absolutely everywhere I went was kind of annoying. And if I didn't have it on me, I sometimes missed important notifications (because everyone assumes you always have it on you these days) or, say at home, I'd be sitting on the couch reading, and hear it ding from across the room, and feel compelled to go deal with it, important or not.

Now, with the watch, I have my phone permanently on mute, and I have set up the watch to only get notifications from a couple of services that are time sensitive - so no email, Facebook, etc. and it doesn't make any sound, just taps me on the wrist when I have a notification. I often leave my phone at my desk or in the kitchen all day while still getting the important notifications.

I also really like having weather information at a glance at any time.

3. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

What are these "I don´t really want to buy this and that, but convince me!"-threads all about? I´m pretty sure you know, what you can do with an Apple Watch and can try them in various store, so it's solely up to you to decide if it's worth to you or not.
    Sorry if my post sounded rude! :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tell what time it is.

If you've never been a fan of watches, I highly doubt we can come up with usages that will sway you. To put it another way, if you cannot justify the expense yourself, then we cannot convince you.

Its a nice product, but not a must have, it extends the usefulness of the iPhone but the flip side of the argument can be made that its not too difficult to whip out your phone and see the notifications in the first place.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I noticed lately no one complained about the watch not being circular anymore. Hmm....

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

If you have to ask, you are likely to find Apple Watch an expensive gadget that is a high maintenance toy.

I bought one upon their release. It's not bad, just too much of a gimmick for my preferences.

Always needs charging, another Operating System to maintain and update, rather useless unless tethered to one's iPhone, and on and on.

However it's understandable that there is a market for these gadgets. If you have a lot of spare time and enjoy playing around with such things, it's probably going to amuse you. A niche product, it gives Apple something else to sell.

7. Nell macrumors 6502

One thing I really like is getting directions on my wrist when I'm walking somewhere unfamiliar. In particular, in a city I don't know being able to walk around without my phone in my hand feels safer.

I also like getting news and weather alerts without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. More often than not the alert is enough but having got my phone out I'm likely to get sidetracked, so the watch is a time saver for me.

8. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

The number one reason to get an Apple Watch is....

Because you want one!

:):apple:

Ps. If you have the funds don't try to justify your purchase just get it.

9. Skika macrumors 68030

Not much less useless that a normal watch if put in power reserve.

10. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Depending on your location, go to Best Buy or an Apple shop, and check the watch for yourself.

11. bjjp2 macrumors regular

12. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

When the watch first came out, I couldn't imagine needing it. Now that I have one, Apple has me addicted to another one of their products. I just love it. It keeps me focused on exercising more on days I don't go to the gym; and being reminded to stand up is most helpful. The best part for me is not having to pull out my iPhone when a notification comes in. Just turn my wrist and see if I want to pay attention to it. It is also nice to keep up with sports scores when you can't watch the games on TV. Plus having the weather and time always available is great. I guess I like everything about it. :)

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you have to ask the question then you don't need it or really want it. So don't get it put the funds to something more useful.

14. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Here is my take on it:

When it first debuted I thought it was not worth the price (especially the edition models) considering the size and the fact that it takes a few seconds to whip out your phone to see whatever information you need. At the time I had a jawbone up fitness band which only displayed 3 little different colored LED notifications and the rest of the info I needed had to be accessed on the app for it.

That jawbone crapped out, so I bought a newer version (only because jawbone gave me $25 to their store after politely telling them that it was a little ridiculous that it died after a year). Again, the updated version only showed me LED lights for a particular notification. Again, less than a year that crapped out and not too long ago jawbone apparently ceased their wearable tech hardware production.

Now my wrist is naked, only to have a nice Nixon watch for nice occasions and it is damn bulky and heavy (but nice). My next purchase was the fitbit alta. This has a black and white LED notification screen which tells a little more (getting call and text notifications seemed like a good fit for me and it looks nice). Then I started seeing the samsung line up but they have no iOS support (yet?)

Now with the series 2 release and the attractive Nike + band options... I am more drawn to it now and could actually see a daily use for the watch. I most likely will get it and see how it goes for a week and maybe return it if I don't see much use for it. I wish it could have been thinner which we may get the next update, but for now I may take the plunge in November since I decided to pass on the iPhone 7 launch.

I would go into a store (BB or Apple) and try it on. See if it could be a thing you would use daily. My friend that got one on launch day says he misses it when he forgets to bring it with him on whatever he has going on.

Good luck!

15. woozor1 thread starter macrumors regular

I am just interested in peoples experiances with the watch not "if ure undecided then dont get it."

I will definately try one next time in the apple store which is an hour away for me. Ive always said if i had to have a watch it would be the apple watch. Maybe it is a device I would have to try and use the return policy to actually see for myself what benefits it would give to me.

I do train 4 times a week in the gym. However how good is the actual heart rate sensor as none are really that acurate. The one thing I do like is the wireless headphones connected to the watch that is my main plus atm.

And thanks for the imput so far.

16. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

I have been very surprised at how accurate the heart rate monitor is. When I am on the elliptical machine, it is within 1 beat of of it or right on. When doing weights, it is a bit erratic; but I am most concerned about it after my exercise to wait to start the next exercise after the hr comes down enough. It is quite accurate then.

17. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I will say it's something you don't actually need but once you have this kind of convenience at your wrist it's hard to go wrist-naked.

18. AppleCodeNameUser macrumors newbie

AppleCodeNameUser

I find the Apple Watch is really practical. I enjoy it especially for work, I can get all txt messages, sports highlights and emails on the spot and a touch away. It is priced very competitively among normal (non digital) watches and is more stylish. They are very sharp looking, I would recommend one.

19. blueyz628 macrumors newbie

blueyz628

When i was at the Apple Store adding AppleCare to my newly acquired watch, I told the girl "it's something that you don't "need but can't do without"... I, too, was a Jawbone and FitBit wearer and have ditched those devices and am strictly going with the Apple Watch. (A little less "arm candy").

20. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I think people just don't talk about it now because of the weight of consensus being so strong.

I've ordered one but there is no doubt in my mind it's an ugly product. It looks ridiculous but there isn't an alternative.

Thankfully the iPhone SE saved me from having to get a 6s/7 [shudders].

21. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi