Why should I get StuffIt Deluxe

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jacksonc, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I found Stuffit Deluxe for only $10. I am thinking about buying it, because I need to use folder archives quite often. But I don't really see why I would need it. Could anyone give me some advice?

2. chabig macrumors 601

I don't think it's necessary at all, since its capabilities are already available in the System Software.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I found Stuffit Deluxe slower than the built-in tools. I felt the only thing I was stuffing was stuffing that vendor's wallet.

4. ratsg macrumors 6502

can the built in utilities handle your .SIT and .HQX files? I don't know, I'm asking, but that would be primary motivations for me as to acquiring the Stuffit archive application.

5. chabig macrumors 601

I doubt anyone has .sit or .hqx archives any more, as those are relics of OS 9 and earlier. However, if you have them, the free Stuffit Expander will expand them.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Not really worth it in this day and age. When it first came out, it was one of the few applications that would handle those types of files. The only use would be the .sit or .hqx stuff as already pointed out, but then yeah, nobody actually uses that format anymore, and when you do find old files that do, the free version will take care of it.

No, not at all worth it at $10, or even $5.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If you are just decompressing files which OSX doesn't natively support then other tools like The Unarchiver work well and are free (it handles .sit and .hqx).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had purchased Stuffit Deluxe but I don't think its needed now a days. Let me say when I bought it. I was running on OS9 at the time :)