Why should I jailbreak? Anything good I should have?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kashmoney2006, Aug 6, 2008.

1. kashmoney2006 macrumors regular

With the app store in place, what is the reason to jailbreak? I had my phone jailbroken before there app store went live but restored it, and am now not sure if i should re-jailbreak it. What is out there in the jailbreak community that is worth jailbreaking? also, what is the difference between Cydia and Installer.app? Thanks.

2. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

1) You're able to customize the interface more which for some people is a big thing
    2) Ability to use other tones than the default for certain alerts
    3) Ability to install applications that aren't on Apple's app store or will never be.

Those are a few quick ones I can think of.

3. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i jailbroke for:

winterboard theming
    bossprefs
    mxtube
    categories (should be out soon)
    intelliscreen
    umm free cracked apps if you're into that

and seeing as 2.0 is fairly recent, i'm sure tons more jailbreak-only options should be coming.

cydia and installer.app are just two different tools to install apps. one uses a 'standard' distribution model while the other doesn't but that shouldn't concern the end-user much.

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

mxtube is great (and works on 2.0, not all apps work on the 2.0 firmware) it allows you to download youtube videos and has a great interface.
    That's the only app I use, but even then, what do you have to lose?

5. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

ability to install apps that cost money on the app store on your iPhone for free :)