Why should I keep grandfathered unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drumguy1975, Sep 8, 2016.

1. drumguy1975 macrumors member

So my situation is similar to many others....2 iPhone 6's on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. My two year contract is up and after calling AT&T, they will not discount my rates any due to the fact that it's a family plan as opposed to a single phone. It seems that my only option to lower my bill is to go with one of the newer family share plans that would bundle with the DTV and have the unlimited data that would lower my bill about $20/month.

I know that if I ditch DTV then I lose the bundle price but I just reupped with them for another year. For the next few years we will only have the two phones as my daughters are too young for their own phones. We usually don't go over about 12-14GB/month and we don't live in a huge city (only about 100K people). So, my question is, why should I keep the grandfathered unlimited data plan? Now having to pay monthly payments for two phones ($70ish), every little bit (even $20) helps to defray the costs.

2. MarcRRT macrumors member

I'm in a similar situation. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T and I also have Directv. I currently have a 6s. I'm considering porting in a line from Sprint to get the $650 credit towards the purchase of a 7 plus. I was told via chat that I will still have unlimited data with new plan as long as I keep Directv. Still not sure I should give up my grandfathered unlimited data for a free phone and being tied to not only AT&T but also Directv. Any ideas?