Why should I keep my MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krye, Jul 30, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I have an 8 core mac pro, and 1st gen MacBook Core Duo 2.0, and an iPhone 3G. I used the MacBook as a desktop until I got my Mac Pro. Now I use the MacBook as a secondary machine for email, internet, and iLife stuff when the wife is hogging the Mac Pro, or it's late, and I feel like vegging on the couch or in bed. I usually bring it to work to play around with stuff on my lunch break. Xcode, iWeb, iPhoto stuff, etc, etc. Oh, and listen to music while I work. (It's like a big iPod) Nothing major, no games.

Ever since I got the Mac Pro, I have been spoiled by its speed. The MacBook seems a bit slow nowadays. So like I said, it's now used for light tasks, and mostly email/internet stuff. I have since upgraded from iPhoto and GarageBand to Aperture and Logic Studio. I use them exclusively on the Mac Pro since I feel the MacBook is a little slow and the resolution doesn't compare to my 30" Cinema Display. Going from 30" to 13" makes those apps sort of a bear to use.

Anyway, to get to the point. Now that I have an iPhone, I find that I never use the laptop at work anymore. I check all my mail, edit contacts, and calendar stuff right on the phone. I play games on my breaks, and listen to music while I work. So I really no longer have a need to tote the MacBook back and forth between work and home. Same at home. When it's late at night and I'm just chillin'. Kids have gone to bed, wife is watching TV, I find myself surfing the internet, checking/composing mail, listening to music, watching videos right on the phone. So again, not much use out of the laptop at home either.

And right before I bought the phone I was dying to buy a 15" MacBook Pro. But I was holding out on upgrading until the next revision was released. I thought if I had a more capable machine with a larger display with dedicated graphics the Pro apps wouldn't be so much of a tooth-and-nail scenario. Now I just don't know. I'm sort of in the mindset that everyone should have a laptop. You don't realize how much you need it until it's gone.

Also to add to the dilemma, I want to get a Nikon D80 for some Pro photography hobby stuff. I could sell the MacBook and put the money towards the camera.
    I know as soon as I sell it, get the camera, the new MacBooks / MacBook Pros will be released and I'll be dying for one. The wife says as far as Christmas goes we could probably swing $1000 on a camera a lens, but not $2000 on a MacBook Pro.

What should I do? Someone tell me what to do with this MacBook!

2. MCole macrumors newbie

I'm dying to get a macbook, and if it's in fairly good condition I would LOVE to buy it off of you, I'll be going off to college in a month and this would come in very handy

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Your MacBook seems a bit superfluous. I know what you mean about the iPhone, I have a MBP I use for work and home, but when I'm at home now, I can check Internet/Mail on the iPhone.

I'd say sell it before the new ones come out and it gets even 'older', put the money towards the camera.

4. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

I think that is the way to go. Maybe next year (birthday or something) I can think about getting a new laptop purely as a luxury.