Why Should I update to 4.2.1 on my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smoking monkey, Nov 23, 2010.

1. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Please fellow MRers, tell me why I should upgrade because at the moment it seems like I'm better off not doing so.

Let's take a quick look why...

1. Mute/orientation switch. I personally use the switch for orientation all the time. I don't need it as a mute switch since I don't really use my ipad for email or music.

2. Has the wifi problem been fixed? Is there anybody who had trouble with the GM still having trouble now with this official release?

3. Folders. Mmm... I would much rather be able to organise my apps in itunes (I'm guessing you just drag apps from the huge list into folders...yeah?). I also use A LOT of videos and wish apple would update the crappy itunes filing system for movies. Are there folders for movies? If so I will update immediately! But I'm guessing not.

4. multi tasking. - I don't see the big benefit to me. Sure it's better for most people but I don't use email or listen to music on my ipad. What are the plus points for multi tasking?

5. Airplay. I don't have an apple TV and would have to carry one around to stream the videos on my ipad onto a TV? When apple starts allowing mirroring of apps and games etc on TV then I will get one. I would love to use a lot of the apps on a TV in the classroom.

So tell me... What should I do?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Don't update and tomorrow I think turkey on wheat with a side of avocado would do you fine for lunch.

3. garretruh macrumors member

First of all, there's really no reason not to; that is, unless you want to jailbreak. If you want to be jailbroken, wait a few weeks for a stable jailbreak to be released.

Edit: Is the orientation switch issue really more important to you than multitasking and folders? If so, then by all means wait it out. But it's unlikely to be switched back to an orientation switch; Steve has been pretty admant about that.

4. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Folders and Multitasking is great. If you don't like it, restore back to 3.2.

5. garretruh macrumors member

Unless he/she has the blobs saved, that's not an option as Apple will likely have stopped signing restores to 3.2

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Lots of little things are fixed too. I am not even jailbroken yet and I am happy with 4.2.1. Did not think I could live without the JB but here I am.

7. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

or u could have just waited few days ...

8. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Ah, didn't realize.

9. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

If your happy running the old version of the OS and don't see any benefits of 4.2 in your use case then don't update. It's a simple decision really. Most on this forum love folders and multitasking, so the answer your going to get time and time again is to do it.

10. elwood58 macrumors member

Posts like these read like somebody who loves to debate, and has way too much time on their hands. Reading the original post makes me wonder what the OP DOES do with the iPad. For the most part, your only choices with a device like iPad/iPod/iPhone is to keep up with the updates, or Jailbreak the device and go elsewhere for your software. Apple has created this interdependent world for these devices, where getting even a little out of sync with software has some very interesting consequences on both the devices, and iTunes. From the sound of it, movies and games seem to be the big iPad draw for this user, and even there, you will get left behind if you do not maintain pace from a software perspective. Backward compatibility is a rather short lived experience when the product exists in this Walled Garden model. In order to make it a simple egalitarian experience for all users, there is not much room left for experimentation, or even individual choice.

All of that said, there do seem to be some core reasons to update at this time. An overall cleanup of the OS, along with some improved performance, even from a video quality perspective (subjective), make this a worthwhile update for most. I get the whole rotate lock versus mute argument, but at the end of it all, you can still lock rotation, and you can still control sounds in several ways.

Wireless appears to be trouble free from a connection perspective, but my seat of the pants analysis tells me that overall the wireless is slower on 4.2.1. I have not had a chance to do any serious streaming inbound of Video, but sending Video to the Apple TV seemed to work very well.

11. smoking monkey thread starter macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Serious post!

Although I do love a good debate. I am serious about the reasons I've stated.
    I do agree that you do need to keep up, but I was thinking to hold out until the 2nd ipad when all the small problems will likely be resolved. That's about a 5 month hold out? Or at the very least until after Chrimbo.

What do I use my ipad for?
    1. I use it for teaching. I use a lot of educ. apps such as story books, alphabet games, flashcards, counting, puzzles, colours etc. And this is where I may need to update to keep up with apps that are iOS4 only compatible.
    2. I travel on trains and planes a lot. I use it for watching my favourite TV shows and movies on the go. I do not need to update for this.
    3. My wife uses it to surf the net wirelessly all the time. I don't. A stable wifi connection is important.
    4. Games. I literally have less than 10 non educational games on it. If I find something I can play with my wife then I'll grab it, but usually I only play the games with the kids I teach.

My iPad is a vital part of my teaching arsenal. ATM it works exactly like I need it to. I don't want to screw it up by adopting a flakey OS. And the word on other threads is saying it's got some troubles.

Can people tell me why Multi tasking or folders would change the way I use my iPad? Like I said, if I could organise folders within the video tab I would be onto it in a flash. I have upwards of 70 videos on my ipad at any one time.

PS. My iPad gets heavy rotation with kids and adults using mulitiple apps within a short space of time and as such the O-lock on the outside is a godsend.

PPS. Jessica, a turkey and Avvo sanger sounds sweet luv! Think you could make it for me? Ta.

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It was a true pleasure to sit back on my couch tonight and kill a trees by priting from mail and safari directly!! (albeit with a 3rdparty server on my imac)

13. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

:D

Steve

14. fivenotrump macrumors regular

15. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

4) This is huge, fast app switching is a big plus (apps resuming where they left off), not to mention being able to double tap and quickly access all your recent apps, or swipe to the left for brightness controls, etc., and obviously, being able to multi-task, I.E, have Skype running, etc.

Overall, folders, multi-tasking, better stability, better app features, etc.

I find the WiFi performance to be much better than in 3.2, although I can't guarantee that'll be the same for you.