Why Should I Upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ee99ee, Nov 20, 2007.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I know I'm not upgrading anytime soon -- 10.4 works great for me, and I really don't enjoy breaking things; but for other users: Why should someone upgrade to Leopard?

-Chris

2. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Spaces

3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

+1

'New' spotlight

Firewall

Basically, I tried it and have just gone back. Spaces is excellent, but I am not enjoying the firewall and spotlight. General use is a little sketchy too. I am sure most will be fine but I don't like it that much.

4. henry.oswald macrumors member

honestly don't not worth it, thats for me. Spaces is good but not good enough (no customisable dock and wallpaper) i spend a lot of my time working with pdf's word files etc and im finding i never use quick looks its far quicker to navigate the old way and just open up the file.

spotlight is a lot worse

frount row is better,

but to be honest its been unsable for me, safari is constantly crashing, my mac crash's about once every 3 days where i have to hold the power button down and lost any work ive done on pages seeing as their is no auto save (not to do with leopard but im still angry about this)

If you want it wait for a few months at least untill its stable.

5. the Helix macrumors regular

the Helix

Well, IMHO, if you have to ask, then you really don't need to upgrade (nor should you).

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This response always works in theory however, through all the bad asking what is so great about Leopard to try and find reason to upgrade from what appears to be a very stable OS now (10.4) does not harm anyone.

I personally have no upgraded because I need to be able to devote the appropriate time to the install. I am finding that when I bought my first mac with Panther the upgrade from that to Tiger was a dream. I was immediately excited at the prospect of a new OS and all the dreamy installation ease I would experience. In no time at all it was clear that while Leopard is amazing on its face there are many more bumps in the road to installation than I saw in Tiger. While I'm wiling to travel that road as I said I need to be able to devote more time. This being my only computer I cannot have it down or my school work and the work I do as a telecommuter during the week for my company will suffer. I would be reduced to a very sub-par windows laptop that would ultimately frustrate me. Not because it's windows but because it's slower.

Why upgrade to Leopard? There are some features that are intended to increase productivity from what I can tell. There are supposed to be enhanced features and then of course the stacks feature was a major selling point, even for me. It is a simple personal opinion that Leopard will be great and will provide you with virtual spaces to enhance your overall experience with your machine once all or at least some of the major bumps are worked out. They seem to be doing a great job getting to them, but I'm still seeing people with a great deal of issues.

7. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I've heard Spotlight was better? You all are saying it's bad? What's up?

Also, no need for spaces -- I use Desktop Manager already which gives me virtual desktops. Also, I don't care about the firewall -- I have a FreeBSD box that sits in front of my office here.

-Chris

8. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

For me it was Time Machine. Apple really hit a home run with Time Machine -- it's the first backup strategy I've ever encountered that isn't a total pain in the ass and I'll actually stick to.

I've already had an occasion to use it to recover a file and I'd never go back to not using it.

9. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

My observation over the past 4 weeks on three machines

- Same speed on current hardware, MAYBE a little snappier
    - Faster (subjective) on older hardware
    - MUCH more stable than 10.4 up through 10.4.10, I never ran 10.4.11.
    - Time Machine ends the discussion, it's the killer app for me
    - Coverflow and Quicklook work great
    - Spaces, very nice, especially with VMs.
    - Numerous nice touchs
    - No observed deficiencies compared to 10.4 (Firewall in either is adequate for me)
    - Perceived improvements to Airport handling/network handling
    - Perceived improvement to SMB share handling
    - Improved printer driver handling
    - Zero time to adapt from Tiger, no relearning curve (don't count learning new feature, you could choose not to use them and of course we need to learn new feature)
    - Modest upgrade time (one hour per machine, much of that hands-off)

Well worth $599. And they are only charging $129!!!

10. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

This should really be a non issue unless its the cost of forking out for the box with leopard on it in the first place:(

Because its so dam easy in OS X to have a bootable backup ready to go , (which everybody should have anyway no matter what version of the OS they have anyway).

If things go wrong or your applications run unstably it only takes minutes to switch back

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not too many reasons, but you know the next upgrade of the retail Apple Apps will likely require Leopard.

Right now Intel apps can support recent 10.4.x or 10.5, but if they want to take advantage of some of the threading and memory improvements -- it'll require Leopard or above.

So the Pro users will likely be forced to upgrade a bit quicker.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish I could say "Core Animation". When is this going to take off? Will it be another Pixlet?

13. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

I haven't upgraded yet because... well i need more space so a new HDD will be coming first rather then leopard. I'm going to wait till macworld or at least new years(what better way to bring in the new year) to upgrade im in no rush, i was using leopard months and months ago so i remember what the cool new stuff was like.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Apple makes more use of the core technologies than anyone, which isn't a bad thing.

But it is an expensive technology just to make apple apps seem more polished.

Doubtful it'll gain much use from others besides as a 3rd party filter or plug in.

15. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

You should check out the spell checker. And BTW spotlight is so lightning fast I chuckled out loud when I read your opinion. And to say it is quicker to navigate the old way than to use quick look (?press space bar?) is ludicrous.

16. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Well the killer feature is TM, it really is ace. And has also saved me some images that I ditched ;)
    Spaces is another ace feature, I hate desktop clutter so its nice to have a Space for everything and everything in its Space (I thought that was quite good for me :rolleyes:)
    I also like the overall UI improvements as well as the new Dock and MenuBar, I feel as if Im in a minority with that one though

17. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

• Spaces
    • Time Machine
    • Quick Look
    • Spotlight is much better
    • Expose works better with Spaces
    • Improved kernel, networking, etc.

18. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Spotlight is defiantly a +1 IMO!
    Spaces
    Quicklook
    New Finder
    Stacks (because folder navigation in the dock was always slow for me!)

19. firstyearprof macrumors member

The reason I haven't upgraded, and similarly with many colleagues, is that much software that depends on specific compilers (FORTRAN or C) do not work under Leopard. I'm a geneticist, and after FINALLY getting all these damn little programs to work on Tiger, I'm not about to switch and having them all become unworkable again. It's too bad that apple screwed around with X11 too.

So for people who need their computer for academic work, it doesn't seem to make much sense to switch... maybe that will change by ~ summertime..

20. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

can't find plist files quickly at all. pain in the ass. :(

21. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Sorry

But I think Leopard is a snore....

Tiger was way more fun...wigits and the dashboard, and automator, i don't know... more cool features.

With Leopard, the coolest thing is Time Machine, and I'm like..."damn, I don't feel like going out and buying a fourth External HD just for Time Machine..." but i will eventually i'm sure.

Spaces is ok...I thought that it was actual separate desktops, so I as thinking I could keep all my girlfriends crap on one desktop (folders, pics etc) and have my stuff on another desktop, and then maybe itunes dedicated desktop.....well I Guess i didn't read the details well enough, cuz all it's for is having one app on one desktop and another app on another 'space' . It's cool for having iTunes open on full screen on a separate space. but meh...

I like how there's a little icon for my shared Macs in the sidebar now...

but i don't know... oh ya quick look...I don't really use that...just kind of there. and i forget that it's there...

I'll always do the OS updates, but this one was boring IMHO>

22. Mac In School macrumors 65816

No votes for Back To My Mac? I'm surprised.

For me, Spaces and Time Machine are the greatest appeal.

23. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

If the feature actually worked as advertised, I'd vote for it.

24. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

For developers, Leopard is great. It offers many new features, and most of them are not even mentioned by apple, as I constantly hear about Objective C 2.0. But there are many other things, too.

Generally, you can look at it this way:

Eventually, you will have to upgrade. Leopard will be more stable than Tiger, and applications will start taking advantage of QuartzGL (remember Quartz 2D extreme that was disabled? It's changed name, and now, although it is disabled by default, it is no longer buggy, and devs can use it to their programs) meaning greater speeds. Multithreaded OpenGL will also result in improved graphics performance in all graphics intensive applications.

- I like the new spotlight. I find it great. And the new spotlight that will find things in menus is also excellent. It is also much faster.
    - Time machine. I intend to use it, someday, but to many people is life saving.
    - Cleaner, more consistent UI. I like the new icons, and the new appearance.
    - Finder is snappier, no matter what everyone else says.
    - I like the new look in finder windows. Things are more organized.
    - Memory management improvements.
    - I really like the new safari. It's been stable for me.