Why should i wait for the SDK to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Star Destroyer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,
    I have been reading around here, and noticed that there are a lot of responses that say its a good idea to wait until the SDK is released before jailbreaking.

I am wondering why?
    What will happen when that is released? Will third party apps be usable on a non-jailbroken touch or is it just that new apps will be available?

Im slightly confused to what this SDK release means other then better apps will be developed, but does it mean that they can be used without jailbreaking?

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. The whole point of the SDK is to allow third party developers to write apps through an approved method.

3. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

So it would be safe to assume that with this SDK the apps that people are jailbreaking over will then become 'legit' with apple, and it wont need to be done in after all the hacking...

I see, this does sound a lot better.

4. elmo151 Guest

you have it. I predict that iPhone apps will be as plentiful as widgets :D

5. PaThKu macrumors member

Yes, 3rd Party Apps will be 'legit'. HOWEVER, no one is sure yet of what Apple will approve if they have a say in what is allowed. For example, apps such as MobileChat and Apollo may not be allowed as it would take away from Apples tasty profit on text messaging.

Guess we'll just have to wait.....in the meantime, I have 1.1.13 jailbroken :rolleyes:

6. Mitchy Brehd macrumors newbie

If you try to upgrade to the sdk on a jailbroken ipod will it brick it?

7. caa4444 macrumors member

when sdk comes out technically itouchs will come jailbroken since sdk allows read/write use which is what jailbreak does