why should iMacs use new desktop Quad-Cores?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zoran, Jan 20, 2009.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

1. What is the purpose in the use of a "power efficient" processor for a desktop computer? I mean its not like it needs to reserve power since its connected to the power line!
    2. So the first question brings me to the 2nd, why would the iMacs want to be updated with the new desktop Quad-Core processors that consume less power?

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

The iMac uses Laptop class parts. Similar to the macbook pro. unless you want an iBrick desktop, be happy.

3. capo64 macrumors member

I don't think it's a matter of power as much as heat. The more wattage you put into a processor, or anything for that matter, the hotter it's gonna get. With the all in one design, you have to produce as little heat as possible.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, and Quad-cores are much more powerful with lower wattage and heat.

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Your attitude makes me hope you start to feel the heat before the rest of us when the time comes . . .
    Wait a minute, your logic-chopping ways are two fast for me to keep up
    I'm not sure the iMacs want anything. They're computers. They have CPUs, not brains.

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Your ironic answers are not helping this thread, and if you don't want to help you are not welcome! :mad:

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Dude, that desktop quad cores that consume less power than previous/other desktop quad cores still consume MORE power than the LAPTOP processors in the CURRENT iMacs. So your question is kind of... um, useless in this regard.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, I just saw the new's that zoran posted. Maybe becouse desktop parts are cheaper than laptop ones nad got more power, and btw iMac isn't laptp really just uses parts from it.

Apple has ordered ONE of the new Quad-cores, so it'll be available only in high-end model/s.

We'll see that soon...

10. capo64 macrumors member

Where'd you see that they ordered one?

11. kasakka macrumors 65816

It's also worth mentioning that most people who buy an iMac don't really need a quad core system for anything since proper multicore support is generally only found in things like video/audio/file compression, audio, video and image editing programs. Very few games truly benefit from 4 cores vs 2.

Of course Apple could make an iMac that uses desktop parts but it'd look like an old CRT monitor and most people don't want those anymore.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sorry, I can't find one, but I'm 99% sure that I saw one article about that (and it was trustable site).

Quad-core will not be in low and middle class models only in high end

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Doesn't iLife in apps like iMovie etc use multiple cores?

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

your point being? all macs today have multiple cores

15. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

Perhaps you were thinking of one of the following:

Pure speculation.

16. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Since Snow Leopard is being designed to use multiple cores as much as possible and make it very easy for programmers to do the same, don't you think they would start putting in more cores asap? Whatever iMac they release next will be whats available when Snow Leopard is released.

If they release a 28" (or even just a 24") iMac with a 2.93GHz C2Q, DDR3 and official support for at least 8gb of ram, I'd be at the Apple Store tomorrow morning and dump my G5 on eBay.

17. gamer2502 macrumors regular

intel has a new mobile power efficient quad core and they will probably use that processor:apple:

18. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You mean those insanely expensive oven like chips? I think even intel said they were only for hardcore people like gamers and pros that really needed power.

19. aviationalyours macrumors member

aviationalyours

20. Arcadie macrumors regular

I dont know why people keep saying that using a desktop class cpu will turn your imac into a brick. Its seems every one here is concentrating solely on what apple has done and noth other companies. There have been some major advancements in cooling lately. Solid State Fans, Peltier cooling devices, etc...

21. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

No, the Q9000 has a TDP of 45W and costs only $348, cheaper than the 65W Q9550S, albeit slower.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Q9000 is only 2GHz that's not enough. Those new parts are 2.66, 2.8 and 2.93GHz if I remember right.

23. Ramashalanka macrumors regular

True, but for what I do, I'd rather have a 2GHz quad core than I 3.06GHz two core. I'm not holding my breath though, because I would've hoped they would put the Q9000 in the MacBook Pros from a few weeks ago. They talked about using the "latest Intel processors" ...

24. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

The infamous Apple Gaping Lineup Hole

Dual core processors are dying out fast and will soon be dead. The only way to go is more cores.

Currently there is a huge gap between the iMac and the MacPros. A quad core seems to be the only way to fill this gap and anything less will disappoint many people.

This gap is commonly known as the Apple Gaping Lineup Hole.
    :D

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Duals are still better in more ways than quads. E.G. There are less than 10 games that can use quads and that means it runs very slowly is it doesn't support. When more programms start to support quad-cores they'll be gone, 6 and 8 cores will replace 'em.