Why should they offer Snow Leopard at a reduced price?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nick9191, Jan 11, 2009.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Really, why should they?

If they are doing what they say they are doing, this is far huger than a bunch of new applications and a new theme. This is setting up applications to tap into all those clock cycles on the CPU and GPU that are wasted, this is improving efficiency. What Apple are doing with Snow Leopard is the biggest change to the software side of desktop computing in 10 years.

Secondly just because Leopard had a lot of new features over Tiger it doesn't mean that was the same in the past. Lets see, Panther, a new Finder, Expose, new Mail, $129. Tiger, Spotlight, some 64 bit support $129.

Thirdly, how can you even begin to say that you wont pay $129 when you haven't even seen it demo'd?

Fourthly, like with any other product in the world, if you don't think its worth it, don't buy it, and for god sake, don't bitch about it. No one's forcing you to buy it, Leopard will not cease to function the day SL comes out.

A $129 for the best OS in the world is already too cheap, and no that is not arguable.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Boom! </steve>

And so the hyping begins. The majority of users are not interested in under the hood changes if it looks and behaves more or less like Leopard. Apple are going to need to provide compelling reasons for marketing reasons alone to get a lot of people to put down a chunk of change in this economic climate. Sorry to say that a lot of people buy on features alone, and that's not just for operating systems.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sure Jobs and the marketing folks will pull 1 or 2 things out of SL to make it seem like a must have OS. I'd bet SL will be a huge (huger?) success for Apple.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And if those two things are true resolution independence and native ZFS, you'll be right.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nah. Far far too geeky. These mean nothing to most people. Something like Time Machine, something neat they can slap a cool name on and get out the door.

6. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

What? No way I sell my wife on upgrading because "look babe, it has native ZFS!" Are you kidding me? While useful for the few of us who know what it does, nobody else cares.

My bet is Apple will focus on the multimedia and multi-tasking stuff. Not one word of GrandCentral or anything else - it will be stuff that is easily and enticing to SEE.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

8. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty much sold on the raw marbled meat dude...

9. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I agree. In a way though, I like it that. Don't get me wrong, for years I've thought that many companies have taken advantage of larger hard-drives/CPUs, so I am (worryingly) pleased that Apple are trimming down and cutting back.

That said, the novelty of comparing file sizes runs out very quickly and until programs that take advantage of Grand Central etc. are written, there's no 'novelty' there either.

I'm looking forward to Places (and to a lesser extend, Faces) in iPhoto '09. I want something as exciting to look forward to with Snow Leopard too, or I'll struggle to justify the cost.

AppleMatt

10. Biolizard macrumors 6502

I think a visual demo at WWDC of how fast a SL Mac boots up (or something similar) will convert a lot of people. Right now all Apple are saying is "It's faster" and you just can't quantify that for someone; the people have to see it before they believe it.

Don't forget the native Exchange support (although M$ are hitting back with a tool that finally gives people that in Entourage, but we'll all still use the Apple trio of programs).

One more decent feature would be nice though. Whilst ZFS and resolution independence are great in their own right, not everybody will appreciate them. Something more consumer-oriented would be a good move.

11. gjw4u macrumors 6502

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, then.

Steve: We call it... iNdependence (pronounced eyen-de-pen-dence), and we think it's great. :D

13. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Entourage has exchange support, what do you mean?

14. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Maybe Leopard won't cease to function, but Tiger will. No more Security Updates, according to Apple's current policy.

It is time to demand five years of security updates from last date of retail sale! For Tiger, this would mean Security Updates until October 27, 2012.

You can't argue that is unreasonable.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats how you market!

Sure resolution independance and ZFS would be a godsend to us geeks, but for your actual consumers thats like telling them you get an included flux capacitor and a super gigahertz DOS ethernet connection: its just jibble jabble.

Catchin my jive?:p

16. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Right now, it's a bit rubbish. I don't use Entourage so I don't know the ins and outs of it, but the common consensus is that it sucks compared to Outlook, which is one of the reasons that prompted Apple to do Exchange support themselves.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think Apple knows how to sell the sizzle. Compare the recent, or previous keynotes with Ballmer's most recent one for example.
    Apple can sell Snow Leopard in a softly softly approach. heck, they wouldn't go so far as to use the psychological ploy of pretty much saying, nah, you don't neeed it. But look at it. Have a play. See these great Snow Leopard only features? you might want to try them out in an Apple store.

But i'd imagine they'll have something good when it comes out.