Why Should We Have to Buy AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rs7, Dec 17, 2008.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

It seems many people come here saying how AppleCare won't cover things on their computer that the user broke, and that it only covers manufacturing defects. And the Geniuses that tell them that are right in saying that because that's what AppleCare is supposed to do. But why should users have to pay more money to have AppleCare extended to 3 years? If there was a defect during manufacturing, isn't that surely Apple's fault and it should be fixed for free? So we're basically paying more money to be covered a few years from now if a mistake that was made during manufacturing pops up...

Unless I'm missing something, that makes no sense. Most warranties I know of cover more than just manufacturing defects, especially for additional money!

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

So when something stops working you think it should be fixed for free? How about a car, so an engine dies after 5 yrs, the car maker should fix it for free?

3. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Lots of cars come with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty or a 7 year/70,000 warranty.

What's your point?

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

If you dont feel its worth it no one is forcing you to buy it.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My example is a car with 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty. The OP is saying we shouldn't need Apple Care and Apple should fix our computers period after something fails. example: the hard drive dies after 2 yrs of owning a Macbook, and you don't have Apple Care, should Apple fix it for free?

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Extended warranty availability is common to several electronic and mechanical items. This is not just an Apple/Mac situation. Lawn mowers, toaster ovens, laptops by other manufacturers, televisions, etc... If they all gave free extended warranties, the price would be higher on all of them for everybody. Most people pass on warranty extensions to save money to buy more stuff or replace stuff more often. Me... I have AppleCare and I think that it's worth it.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple provides you a 1 year warranty. If you want a longer one, by AppleCare. No warranty covers you for damage caused by the user.

Those are not full warranties. They only cover the powertrain. 75% of the vehicle is not covered for that extended time.

8. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

well, for starters a 'manufacturing' defect can be interpreted differently. you may think the fans in your MB should last 5 years without issue. apple thinks they should last one year at least, but is willing to take a risk on 3 years for a little more of your hard earned money.

no warranty will cover damage or wear and tear. insurance will. different.

the bottom line is components when manufactured have a mean rate of failure and that means some will fail early, some will last decades. this is really what you are warranted against, early failure, which is not necessarily a defect if the manufactured component fell within the quality control parameters.

generally if there is a genuine manufacturing defect, some logic boards, the nvidia debacle, some power bricks, apple is pretty good at replacing them, even out of warranty, but this is of course at their discretion.

apple profits by only supporting for one year (and i think you'd agree that most manufacturing defects would become apparent in one year) and gambles that enough suckers buy applecare to warrant the few who incessantly send their machines in for repair.

it's a piece of highly complex manufactured equipment. it could fail at any time.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Exactly. If they gave out free a free lift time warranty, they wouldn't make money because we would never need to buy a new computer. Just have the part replaced when it wares out and dies.

I think Best Buy has a "accidental" warranty you can buy.
    I forgot about that, thanks

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It is not a warranty (really, these are service contracts) but an accidental damage insurance policy.

Just like the car makers hope consumers will. ;)

11. okatidubi macrumors regular

12. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

On the subject of Applecare, i am darned glad i have it !!!

I got it for my 12 inch PB, and had that for allmost 3 years with i forget how many logic board repacements and optical drives, untill Apple replaced it for me with a brand new 2.16 plastic MB........ive had that for 13 months with various failures (fan, palmrest, optical drive,bottom case, hard drive) and now Apple have replaced my old plastic book with a brand new shiny 2.4 ally unibody MacBook !!!!

So in my opinion Applecare is a must if you own an Apple notebook.....

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I think the problems i and others have done, rightfully or wrongfully is mix up Apple Care with the 'insuranace' covers that many other manufacturers offer. I had cover from Dixons group and when my sister spilt milk in a really old Compaq PIII 650mhz laptop they swapped it for a voucher for £1k a couple of years later which got us another Compaq PIV 2.4ghz laptop.

I think it would be good for Apple to offer a Apple care that includes insurance so you know you can take it to a Genius for damage etc.

14. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

It seems as if Apple are not interested in the Dixons/Currys/Best buy sort of insurance sort of cover plans........don't blame them to be honest.....

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

The point is Macs do not come with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. it comes with a 1 year warranty, and if anything should happen after that 1 year, you are covered with Apple Care.

There has been many times where Apple just sends you an entirely new updated Mac if your old one can't be fixed.

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

story of my life!!!! ;)

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

What's Murphy's Law?

18. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

19. garybUK Guest

garybUK

20. danvan21 macrumors regular

the nearest apple store is an hour away from house and the nearest apple certified repair center is 45minutes away. I got applecare so i can call in to them if i have a problem instead of driving. i think its a good deal, they replaced my old computer when it broke.

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I found AC a waste of money, and didn't buy it. I don't buy insurance, as a rule.

22. amrk47 macrumors regular

AC is not a waste of money

Say you have had your laptop for 2 years.

It is very easy to get a brand new laptop out of AC.

Every time your repair comes back, call them and tell them it is not fixed.

Do this 3 times, and by law Apple must give you a brand new laptop.

And boom, you just got the newest model for free.

Yes i have done this

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

By law, that's fraud, and having done this, you deserve to go to jail.

24. amrk47 macrumors regular

loll

cry me a river