Why Siri is already a revolution...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bernard SG, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

People who have the feature refer to Siri as 'she' or 'her'.
    I believe it's the first ever real-life computerized system that so many people perceive as a person.
    Apple did it :apple:...

2. bcbryanc macrumors member

3. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think that's just because the voice is feminine. People tend to refer to gendered things by their gender.

4. gillybean macrumors 6502a

If IBM Watson (that Jeopardy bot) had a clearly gendered avatar, I'm sure people would have called it a "he" or "she"

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

True. No one calls the crummy Mac OSX voice recognition service a he or a she... Although its probably because you can change the voice ;)

6. Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Well, sure... I wonder if in UK they call it 'he' by the way... But my point is that everyone knows it's not a person, I find it striking that I rarely see people referring to Siri as "it".

7. aldo82 macrumors regular

Uh? Everyone I know has a name for their sat nav and calls them he or she. Many people have a name for their car too...

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

...And their MacBook Pro's :p

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't see that's how that's a revolution though. People have been referring to their voice assisted GPSs as 'her' and 'she' for years now. It's nothing new. On further thinking, it may also have to do with Siri talking back to you as opposed to it just taking orders like other voice commands on phones did in the past.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't see what your point is.

10. Bernard SG thread starter macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Okay then, never mind :D
    I'm not sure myself, it's just like an intuition that there's going to be a 'before' and an 'after' Siri.
    From the outside, there's something quite peculiar in the way people who have actually used Siri are talking about it (or about 'her', more exactly :p) it's nothing like with the previous iterations of iphone or when iPad was launched.

11. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

People refer to ships as she and her and a ship is even less feminine than a female voice.

Siri responds to you with that voice. It's not such a reach for people to refer to it as a she/her.