Why Siri isn't on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chrf097, Mar 7, 2012.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Why wouldn't Apple put full Siri on the iPad? I mean it would be logical since that's one of Apple's hottest products and Apple's poster feature? Why would they exclude it on their best-selling product?

Because Siri was DESIGNED to be used on a phone, not a tablet.

Does Siri make much sense on anything other than an iPhone? Maybe blindly at first, but think about Siri's functionalities.

"Call Pam at Home"
    "Remind me to pick up milk when I leave Work"
    "Send a text message to Kate Eagan"
    "Show 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino California"

Now, you can do that easily on an iPad right? Yes, but the point of Siri was to be able to pull out your phone from your pocket wherever you are, and easily be able to do basic functions without the need to dig through your phone; to make it easy to set a reminder without digging through the menus while on the go. Like I said, the basic phone features without needing to dig through apps and go through menus.

With an iPad, you're not walking around with your iPad everywhere (vs. how you do with a phone, unless you have a pocket in your clothing big enough for an iPad), so Apple doesn't expect you to need to do that. Their purpose of Siri isn't to play around, it's to get basic functions done on the fly.

That's why (I think) that Siri on an iPad isn't needed.

2. identity macrumors 6502

Siri is a gimmick and it's not that accurate anyways. I've only used Siri for ***** and giggles. I haven't touched it since the first week of getting the iphone 4s and that was back in November.

3. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I haven't really played with Siri since I'm still using an i4 but doesn't Siri require you to be some type of network for it to work? With the iPhone, you're forced to sign up on a data plan but with wifi only iPads, you might not be connected a data network (as far as asking it questions..)

5. matthewskyle macrumors member

Could have something to do with the iPad being launched several years ago. Oh wait..what?

6. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Does Siri not work on WiFi?

7. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Think of how it would look, marketing Siri on the iPad.

8. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

Siri needs a network connection in order to work. If you only get the wifi version, siri will only work under a wifi connection... and why would you need to use it if you were?. Makes sense to not have siri on the iPad.

9. RenoG macrumors 65816

Siri on an ipad would have been sillydumb. Most folks have already gotten over the feature in their phones and don't really use it if ever. Besides as was mentioned it only makes sense on a phone.

10. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I can just imagine people walking down the street with an iPad up by their face yelling at it. :D :p

11. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

I mentioned something very similar on another thread but I think Apple should really go this route: Instead of treating Siri as an application, treat it as a single agent among all of your iDevices.

Imagine:

you are on the iPad and browsing the net. Your iPhone is across the room and someone texts you.

Instead of getting up and seeing who sent you the text. Siri on your iPad should already know this (both devices are logged into the same apple account) and notifies you.

Now you can just tell Siri on your ipad: "Siri, call ____". Siri on your iPad should relay that instruction over to your phone and use your iPad as a bluetooth speaker (assuming they are connected). If they aren't connected, phone call can still go through but Siri on the iPhone would know this and turn on speakerphone so by the time you walk over to get your phone, it's already connected to your friend and you can start talking.

Isn't this a much more cohesive, elegant use of your iDevices? I really see Siri being more than what it is today. I sincerely hope Apple can open up its API to allow 3rd parties to develop for it (of course, as long as the user of such app is still using an iDevice).

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The lack of Siri, is a big plus. I find it obnoxious.

Not being critical, just honest.

If you've ever been on a long flight & several passengers are using Siri, you'd understand. :)

13. Aksta macrumors regular

your post scared the **** out of me. my speakers were on full blast!

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

my speakers are on low but i closed every other window on my computer before i realized where the music was coming from haha.

15. ihatephish macrumors regular

Really? I use Siri at least half a dozen times a day. PERFECT for setting appointments or reminders while driving. Not to mention calling somebody without having to dig through the contacts.