Why slow Charge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mamacat104, May 14, 2014.

1. mamacat104 macrumors newbie

I have new iphone 5S.. usually I put the phone on the charger when it gets to about 25% left on the battery.. sometimes in the 30s... it generally charges back up in a couple hours...
    last night I put it on the charger when it had 19% charge left.. the message popped up that the battery was low..
    I had it plugged in for 5 hours and it was only at 38% charge... I turned off the phone and back on ... in less than 30 minutes it has now gone from 38% to 54%..
    what caused it to charge slow til I rebooted the phone.?? Do I need to reboot the phone periodically. after rebooting, I had to reset my password to email... and going into the phone first time after reboot.. fingerprint didn't work.. had to enter passcode.. fingerprint now works...so it appears just the first time going in after reboot it didn't work...
    but was just wondering why it was charging extremely slow til I turned it off and back on..

Thanks
    Barbara

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Easy stuff first, password is required after reboot. This is a security feature of iOS.

Slow charge: could be a battery issue, battery calibration issues, cable issue or charger issue. If the phone is under warranty bring it back to apple.

My phone usually charges from the 40% range to 100 in about one hour or less. Up to 80% is a fast charge and from 80 to 100 is a slow charge.

3. mamacat104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply.. this is the first time I experienced the slow charging.. the iphone is new.. only had it about a month now. I usually never let it go below 25% ... since I rebooted the phone (since the posting I made) it is now at 77% charge.
    I use a third party cable and have never had a problem with it... If I have anymore issues with it charging slow like that I will take it in to be checked..... I figure it takes a while to go from 20% back to 100% but this was extremely slow compared to what it normally does. Seems better after reboot
    I got into the habit of charging my phones usually before they go below 40% .. my Windows phone was at 50% one time and during the night it went from 50% to 4% and shut itself off and when it was at 4%, I had a hard time getting it to recognize I had it plugged into the charger and it started to charge...And I was traveling at the time and needed it to stay charged up.. I always carry with me when traveling, a backup battery charger from Anker.. they are good chargers..
    thanks again for your reply... Will keep an eye on it now...
    Barbara

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Apple puts checks in its software for Apple certified cables. If you're using a 3rd party cable that is not certified, that is likely the cause of the issue.

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

This is a one time thing. Don't be recommending servicing so quickly.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

I always recommend this. It can save a lot of aggravation especially for warranties devices.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Good luck, and post back with any questions. And, get a certified cable. And make sure you have an apple charger.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Apple certainly designs and intends the iPhone to be non user serviceable. So, why screw around potentially voiding warranty? Service is part of the deal buying the product so any customer should not hesitate to use it.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Use a real USB cord lol and put it in airplane mode. Turn everything off. See what that will do.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Highly recommend a real Apple USB cord AND charger. They cost a little more and I think if you take your third party cord to the Apple store they will give you an Apple cord for free!

11. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Not quite free but there was a scheme to replace third party for fee of £8-10 taking away the third party one. This was because someone electrocuted themself on a 3rd party accessory I believe!

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think they are free in the USA. Or they used to be. This program might have ended.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You may have had an app or a process that was running and kept the CPU running under a load. The same type of issue can cause the phone to drain at about 1% a minute.

If your third party cable is certified then it shouldn't be an issue.

14. mamacat104 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks... last night had same problem... turned off the phone and back on and plugged into my 3rd party cable (but think it is certified by Apple) and it worked fine... I ordered another cable certified by Apple to use in the other room...

Barbara
    appreciate your replies... this is my first iphone... my other phones never had a problem with 3rd party cables..

15. mamacat104 thread starter macrumors newbie

plugged phone into the charger about 30 minutes ago... very slow charging... turned off the phone and then back on.. now it is charging fine...
    is this a problem with the battery... why do I need to turn it off and back on to get it to start charging faster... ??

thanks
    Barbara

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Can you clarify something? Where is the OEM cable and OEM charger that came with your new phone 5S? Are you using those and if you are using the original charger and cable are they giving you problems with slow charge?

If they are bring them into an apple store, they are fully under warranty. If you are not using apple certified cables or chargers, throw them out and get OEM equipment. It will save you in the long run.

17. mamacat104 thread starter macrumors newbie

same problem with both of them... it will charge slow until I turn it off and back on... once I turn it off and back on.. will charge faster...

I have three cables and they all do same thing... how can you tell which one is original that came with the iphone.. Now I have them mixed up because I have tried all of them and get same results...
    my third party certified cable works the best

thanks

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Do you have the original apple charger that came with the iphone?

If it were me I would bring all of the cables into an apple and let them see what is going on. They probably will be able to help you sort out the issue and the cables. Forum members cannot do it from the internet.

Working iphones do not behave as you describe. I would also buy an apple cable rather than an apple certified cable.

Also, have you updated your phone to ios 7.1.1?

19. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I find Apple cables to be the most reliable. If your iPhone is still charging slowly using the original Apple cable, then take it to the Genius Bar. If you don't try this, I'm sure the Genius Bar will have you use the original Apple cable first before they replace it.