"Why smart crooks won't use a Smartphone"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by St8kout, Aug 8, 2010.

1. St8kout macrumors regular

While the average person may not care, you should know that much of your personal life is being stored on your iphone, or any smartphone for that matter. If you ever sell it you should also know that it's impossible to ever completely wipe all your data from it short of throwing it into a raging furnace, and even then any files, pics, text messages sent to and from it might be stored offline somewhere. Carriers keep text messages only 3 days, or so they say. Search engines like Google keep everything. Forever.

Just FYI.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/07/smart-crooks-dont-use-smartphones/

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't believe this

3. St8kout thread starter macrumors regular

From the Author of that line:

About the Author
    Jonathan Zdziarski is better known as the hacker "NerveGas" in the iPhone development community. His work in cracking the iPhone helped lead the effort to port the first open source applications, and his book, iPhone Open Application Development, taught developers how to write applications for the popular device long before Apple introduced its own SDK.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Fine. Tell me how it is retrieved.

Tell me why my available space is not continuously diminishing

I am genuinely curious if this is true

With that said, the premise of the article is obvious as smart phones are mini computers today so of course they store loads of info that can support law enforcement

5. St8kout thread starter macrumors regular

I dont know how either. Go ask Jonathan Zdziarski and let me know:)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I find that bit hard to believe also, honestly. Your iPhone stores all kinds of usage data, but the idea that it's taking screen captures and saving them sounds unrealistic, given the space that would entail. He might mean that metaphorically (or perhaps he means people who unwittingly trigger the screen capture feature, although that seems rare and also fairly innocuous for the most part). Your e-mails for instances are definitely time-stamped (albeit, not with a "screen capture") and it probably wouldn't be that surprising if one of the run logs of the iPhone stores times that the Home button is pressed or other similar activity that could be used to determine, e.g., when the phone was being used even if it was not placing a call or accessing data. That's pretty easy to believe.

I also never have seen anyone really demonstrate that things like the Blackberry scrubbing feature (BB's at the least, have had software for scrubbing data at the phone's EOL / or when it's being sold, for years) can easily be reversed... people are always talking about how some data can be recovered from devices that have a systematic or random overwrite, but ....

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The first edition of iPhone Open Application Development was released in March, 2008. The first iPhone SDK beta was released in March 2008 to developers. Not sure how that particular statement can be reconciled with these facts, but ok.

8. Gmcube macrumors regular

I believe the screen shots are only temporary, so that they show up immediately after you launch an app that supports it, making the load times a little less noticeable.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Exactly.

Every iOS app has a static startup image that we see immediately. This is Apple's neat little trick to make apps feel quicker than they really are.

Apple goes even further with some of their own apps, by taking a current screen shot when we hit the home button, and replacing the static startup image with it.

Now the next time you start that app (e.g. Mail), you see an image of the last screen, and even though you can't interact with it right away, your brain tells you that it started up right away.

This is really noticeable with older iOS devices that take a few seconds before the replaced startup image can be manipulated by being replaced with a real running screen.

10. gecis macrumors regular

+1 very interesting stuff. Good to know.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, article sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
    "it's impossible to ever completely wipe all your data from it short of throwing it into a raging furnace"?
    Yeah ok.