Why so extreme price differences between M2 adaptors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tharayman, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Tharayman macrumors newbie

I was looking into getting a PCI-E M2 adaptor for my 3,1 and was browsing several models. what puzzles me is the huge price differences between adaptor. From Highpoint`s 600$ extreme to a 300$ QNAP QM2-2P10G1T, and all the way down to 30$ for a two space adaptor from Startech. Is this a case of higher price - higher performance ? Or are the known brands just overcharging? Intuitively I would belive performance was mainly due to the drives you put in the adaptor, not the controller card itself...

2. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Cheap adaptors are just passive adaptors to convert the M.2 connector to the PCIe slot.

Switched cards use PCIe switches to connect 2/4/6 M.2 blades to a 8x or 16x PCIe slot. PCIe switches cost over $120 just for the switch itself.

3. Tharayman thread starter macrumors newbie

I see!
    Any particular you guys recommend then?

4. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Take a look on the first post of the Blade SSDs - NVMe & AHCI thread. A good cheap choice is AquaComputer kryoM.2 EVO.

5. Tharayman thread starter macrumors newbie

It is important to have cooling for M2 SSD`s?

6. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

970PRO 5 minutes after power up, doing Spotlight indexing, gets to 74ºC. If you don't want to live with thermal throttle, or worse, overheat - use a heatsink.

7. fatespawn macrumors regular

fatespawn

Others will have more technical answers, but I can tell you what my 970Pro is reporting. I cloned my old boot drive to it originally (300GB continuous write?) and I do weekly clone backups (80GB's at a time?) Total power on time for my drive is 1 month 17 days. My lifetime maximum temperature ever reached was 50c which is far below the recommended maximum limit of 81c.

That's with the AquaComputer kryoM.2 heatsink.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 10, 2019 ---

Really? Wow. Is that with a heatsink?

8. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Without a heatsink. I was doing some tests with an SM951-AHCI 4-blade array with my SSD7101-A and used a Chinese no-name adapter with my 970 Pro, within 5 minutes from power up DriveDX warned about overheat.