Why so few Notifications for emails received?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TWH99, Jan 7, 2016.

1. TWH99, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

TWH99 macrumors newbie

For clarity, when I refer to ALERTS, I am only referring to the audible sound and/or haptic vibration. Alerts are the issue I am having. I am using the term NOTIFICATIONS regarding the watch to mean the Email or Message was “received” by the watch but there was no alert. If I open the Mail or Messages App on the watch, the Email and Message are there to view but an alert was not received.

Fewer than 25% of the emails I receive are Alerted on my watch.

They all come in successfully on my Email App on the watch but the majority, 75%+ don’t alert me in any way from the watch.

I am unaware of any settings on the watch to select or de-select notifications on the watch for specific email addresses.

I have gone through 2 Resets and read all the directions, searched the web and can’t find anything on this topic.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tim

2. Phil A., Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Do you have your notifications on your watch set to mirror your phone and do you have notifications turned on for all incoming messages on your phone (I don't use the default mail app any more but I vaguely remember it only being set to notify for VIPs by default)

3. Mac2me, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure where on Apple I found this but yesterday while working with my iPP setting stuff up came across this on notifications not working with an app and thought it important enough to save as a screen capture. For the life of me don't recall what I was reading specifically or would link there. So here's my screen capture if it helps:

image.png

Found the link. Fortunately saved it in my bookmarks yesterday and brought up history last night to find.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201925

4. TWH99, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

TWH99 thread starter macrumors newbie

To PhilA and Mac2Me, thanks for your response.
    What’s bugging me is the inconsistency. If it was a matter of selecting the correct setting, then it should either work all the time or none of the time for both Mail and Messages. But in my situation, both Mail and Messages work some of the time.
    I logged my observations today, see emails received chart below. I did not get any Messages today. These results are typical of the previous two days although I did get Messages on day 1 & 2.. The only thing different today is the last item listed, from Amazon. It pinged my mac and then my watch but NOT my phone. That’s the first time that has happened. I’m on wifi with cellular turned off. The audible sequence with a new email is always: Mac - iPhone - watch. Sometimes a 15 minute delay between Mac and iPhone alert probably due to my 15 min Push setting. I’ve been at a desk all day the last 3 days and have had the phone, mac and watch within 24” of each other the whole time except for restroom breaks.

The only two Apps I am concerned about getting notifications from are Messages and Mail. The notifications on the 6s are enabled for both Mail and Messages, both set for tone alert. When checking notifications status for the Watch, they are all default set to Mirror. I used this setting on day 1 of ownership. On day 2, I switched them to Custom and enabled all three choices. This morning I set them back to Mirror. I did a power down on both phone and watch today. I’ve had just one call on the phone and otherwise have not used it so my logging info is accurate, I wasn’t distracted with being on the phone all day and no distractions at home office.

In some other areas of this forum from spring and early summer, I read that only the phone or the watch alerts, but not both. So, if the phone is powered on but sleeping (black screen), the audible Mail alert will skip the phone and go to the watch, but if the phone is on and not NOT in sleep mode, then only the phone will get the alert and it will not activate an alert in the watch also. I have not experienced this mutual exclusivity with my phone and watch. It’s always been both except for the watch only alert from Amazon that I just experienced for the first time. And that happened after powering off both devices and then powering them back on again along with a new turning off Pairing and then Pairing the devices again.

VIP and Key Contacts - I don’t have any of these or at least I have never set them up. If they set themselves automatically based on history/frequency, it does not correlate with the sources I have received pings & vibrate from on the watch. I hope someone has some ideas…I’m a bit obsessed about this glitch right now.Thanks Tim

This is supposed to be the chart but it won't format correctly.
    summary: 13 emails received, all of them pinged the Mac, 12 pinged the phone and 4 pinged the watch. The last one was the anomaly. It pinged the Mac and then the watch, skipping the phone and per below that same thing just happened 3 more times.

while trying to get this chart somewhat readable I got 3 new emails and all came in like the one from Amazon. Mac alert, no iPhone alert, watch ping and vibrate. The iPhone is powered on but at rest. It keeps changing...gotta love a moving target.

5. nicho macrumors 68000

do you have your phone unlocked/in use while receiving emails? any time that's the case you won't get a notification on the watch...

6. TWH99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe all my emails today came in when the phone was locked/black screen/not being used. Just a few alerts made it to the watch and the first three alerted at the watch shortly after alerting at the phone. At end of day, 3 emails alerted at the watch only, bypassing the phone.

7. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

AW is most powerful when set your iPhone Autolock to something short like 2min. Unless you are using iPhone, there is no reason not to let you AW take over on notification immediately, hence short Autolock.
    Remember AW is designed by Apple as extension(slave) of iPhone, not designed primary as another stand along device, even it could function with limited feature by itself.

8. TWH99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Auto Lock has been and still is set at 1 minute.