Why so heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Apr 28, 2017.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Anyone else surprised how heavy the new MBP's are? It's not like I can't lift it :) but I thought they'd be easier to hold in one hand. Especially my nTB MBP 13'', thought would be more like the MB Air or iPad.

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

More powerful components, bigger screen, etc = more weight. Also, add up the weight of an iPad with keyboard, pencil, etc. You will be close to the same. When I load up my iPad Pro 9.7 this way I am pretty sure a ntB 13" MBP is within 1 pound.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Because of all the courage packed in there.

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

There's only a .06lb/2g difference between the 13in MBA and MBP. I can't imagine that would be very noticeable. iPad is a different class of device altogether, so it's not reasonable to expect them to be of a similar size/weight.

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Indeed I thought it would be much lighter since they removed everything, lol.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

[​IMG]

No more courage jokes! The line must be drawn HEAH! This far, no further!

7. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Maybe it's just because I came from a 2011 MBP beast but I think my new 13"tb is incredibly light and I usually do hold it in one hand around the apartment.

8. Ixidor macrumors regular

I think it's due to the weight distribution. The MacBook Air is bulkier at the back but extremely slim at the front. If you position your hand closer to the back, the front being lighter will mean that it'll not topple over.

I think the MacBook Pro has a more even distribution of weight around the base, so the front of the laptop's base is heavier, making it easier to topple over. It just takes more effort to balance it one handed.