Why so many hypocritical opinions.

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by DanteMann, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Ok something I really don't understand is how people go on and on about how they can't use their phone with only one hand. Now of course this is preference, but at the same time it is incredibly limiting. So if you're someone with small hands, you will more than likely never get anything above 3.5 inches or 4 inches max. But here's the kicker. You have so many here wanting one handed use, but then go an get a tablet and carry that around. How many people have hands big enough to one hand a 7 inch tablet. It's the same thing when someone says a phone like the Note2 is too big to carry around, yet carry around their 7 inch tablet or huge 10 inch tablet. Better yet, it's the same group that say taking a call with the Note2 looks silly, but they hold up their massive 10 inch tablet to take pictures. Yeah, that doesn't look silly at all.
    What are all of you gonna do when all phones go above the now magical screen size of 4 inches. Remember when 3.5 inches was magical and perfect? Limiting yourself to a screen size will really limit you to only a very select number of phones, and those phones will more than likely be inferior as all high end phones will be 5 inches in 2013. It's at the point where the iPhone will soon be considered a mid-pack phone. And not only because of screen size.

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

All I see here is a wall of rant.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if you try to distill that down to one statement you are crazy.

3. Internaut macrumors 6502a

Phones should be usable one handed regardless of size. Tablets are a different matter. That the UI designers are trailing the people of this good forum is a problem for the UI designers, not the people of this good forum.

4. KnightMan macrumors member

Funny you should mention this, I have a coworker who is one these hypocrites. He brings his iPad3 to work all the time. He takes pics with it and it looks so ridiculous holding this big azz tablet to take pics. And yes he actually thinks it's hilarious when people use their Note2 to take make a call. Using a Note2 to make a call looks nowhere near as ridiculous as taking a picture with any 10 inch tablet. But the best part is he admits he would buy a 5 inch iPhone. Of course everyone has their opinion, but nothing worse than a flipflopper.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

iPhone 5 has already been pushed out of top spot on Consumer Reports, not that that's saying much. I'm pretty sure the reasons are a combination of screen size and lack of micro SD card support. It's amazing that Apple got away with waiting until 2012 to bring out an LTE phone. It's also amazing how the carriers jumped to build out LTE soon afterwards. When I picked up my iPhone 5, At&t LTE wasn't even available in Detroit. In fact, it wasn't available north of Columbus, Oh. Within 45 days, I started seeing billboards saying AT&T LTE was now online and more and more I started seeing LTE light up on my phone screen. Now I know what I've been missing with mere 3G when my Android-toting friends have enjoyed faster-than-wifi OTA data for over 2 years now.

There was a web site that compared LTE buildout. Verizon had about 300 dots, At&t had about 30 and Sprint had about 5. I'm sure that same chart today would tell an entirely different story.

So yes the iPhone isn't the "top" in screen size, resolution or low cost memory capacity but Apple still controls the market. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple comes out with a 5 in iPhone in the next year or so. It is more easy to use it with one hand if the bezels around the screen get narrower. I find my iPhone 5 a pleasure to use but I wouldn't mind having 768 pixels rather than only 640.

My iPad mini has already replaced my desktop for many things. Because I don't always have my iPad with me, my iPhone replaces a lot of its functions. But if I'm in the house and I want to do something "in-depth" online, I run for my iPad. If the iPhone had a bit more screen resolution and size, I wouldn't feel I had to run for the iPad quite as often. I really don't want a phablet. I'm quite happy with my current desktop setup: Macbook Pro and my current tablet: iPad mini. But I do get a bit of "screen envy" when I see the resolution of my friends' Galaxy S3 phones. I think it's time for Apple to offer a larger iPhone screen, even if it's only comfortable for large-handed people to use with one hand.

A bit of clever HMI development could make it more one-hand friendly. For instance, on my Galaxy Player 5, to enter the unlock code, I must use a second hand to hit the rather thoughtlessly placed "OK" button. Nevermind that there is no OK button for iPhone unlock screens, this does point out that simply moving one button can make something that was 2 handed become 1 handed. And unlocking is definitely something that should be one handed.

6. Irishman macrumors 68030

He's hypocritical in making fun of large phone users, when he himself uses a tablet as a camera.

However, the use cases for each class of device at their most basic level is different. What users find acceptable or ideal in a phone (one-handed use in the case of this thread) is quite different from they expect from a tablet, touchscreen notwithstanding.

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

It's been known for a while now that the reason Apple waited until they did was because earlier iterations of LTE were horrific battery drainers. They didn't want to create a problem with their phones, especially since they've touted the battery life of the phone from the beginning.

Because it was widely considered ready for prime time. Nothing amazing about it.

And your Android-toting hits were experiencing decreased battery life in phones about the size of the iPhone.

I don't think anyone would turn down a sharper image, if given it.

They might end up offering a larger phone, but it won't be for NBA players. :)

8. OceanView macrumors 65816

Yes iPhone fanboys are gonna say whatever to justify their iPhones over anything else. I am willing to bet the day Apple comes out with a 5" iPhone, all of these same people will go out and buy the bigger phone and scream that it's the perfect size.

9. Timzer macrumors 6502

They've already done this with the iPhone 5. Remember when android phones started coming out with 4 inch displays. They kept making fun of how big they looked. Now they got themselves this 4 inch phone that has an odd long look to it, and they can't stop saying how the extra row of icons is great to have. Lol
    Mind you, not all iPhone users are like this but it's a very sad mindset to have.

10. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Yeah, Apple loyalists are like those really religious Christians: can't talk any sense into them and can't see their own hypocrisy and contradictions.

11. jamojamo macrumors 6502

Zealots come in all forms. Not just Apple and religious/anti-religious people. There are plenty of Android fanboys who are equally unwilling to concede a point and hypocritical in their postings.

Judging anyone by the phone they use is seriously superficial.

12. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Agreed.

There are more Android users than iOS users worldwide. Likewise they are more Android zealots - it's just a function of higher numbers and larger install base :p

13. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

But the Apple zealots are particularly annoying because they are all here and "forget" everything you say that they don't like.

14. jamojamo macrumors 6502

I tend to think those who are most insecure in their choice tend to be the most rigid and want validation, hence the knee jerk reactions to any positive mention of the "others" and since this site is mostly dedicated to Apple of course it has the higher rate of rabid fanboys just like some of the Sites dedicated to other platforms have theirs.

I've seen it since the days of OS/2 on the Canopus forum on Compuserve. It's funny how "multi-tasking" is one of the key touted benefits just like it was by the OS/2 fans :)

P.s. I really liked OS/2 :(

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Only one side fervently holds to the mantra, "it just works."

16. siiip5 macrumors 6502

Problem that hadn't been mentioned is that most Android users have used Apple products and know the capabilities of the platform (I'm referring to this forums users). Most iFanboys on here, have never used an Android device (or did so years ago) and are spouting off bad info about the platform or just plain lying. It is like religious zealots attempting to keep their flock ignorant of the outside world, so they don't leave and discover everything they have been told is a lie.

I have been asked by numerous people (including family) what phone they should get next. Based on what I know of the person, I have recommended both iPhones and Android phones. While I personally can't stand iDevices, I still recommend them based on the persons needs. There are merits to having a simple OS and having limited choices with a phone.

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I have yet to hear a single Apple user say this. More often than not, it's usually Linux or Windows users spouting this. It truly is inferiority complex when only non-Apple users are so obsessed with spouting a company slogan that even Apple users (that I've encountered and know personally) rarely actually say.

There are VERY few people I know who have used both iOS/Android in their most recent iterations and only then do I defer or keep an open ear. Rule of thumb is the more negative/ranty, the less I trust their opinion. It's even funnier when I press Android zealots on this very fact and say "oh I hear from my iOS friend" or "my office iPhone coworkers."

Like I said before, far larger Android install base leads to more uninformed Android users. If you don't use both everyday, be it for work/leisure, most of the time few have used both operating systems sufficiently to be level-headed.

18. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

I and many of us here have owned and used the latest iDevices and moved on to Android because it is better. You don't know what you are talking about.

19. matttye macrumors 601

Apple has attacked the competition before for being unwieldy and awkward to use due to their size, but one of their selling points for the iPad mini is that you can hold it in one hand (even though you clearly can't use it properly with just one). That's hypocritical.

On the other hand, I don't think it's hypocritical to want a phone to be usable with one hand and then buy a tablet. Different use cases. People might take tablets around with them but I never see people using them as they're walking down the street like they would a phone.

20. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

Yeah, that.

Why the hate when people post their opinions/experiences!? I've been called a liar when posting my experiences.

I prefer a smart phone that I can operate one-handed. I've always got kids/dogs/bags/you name it in one hand, so if my phone can be easy to operate that makes me happy. Now I know that Apple is just going to have to give in and go bigger if they are to stay competitive- but at this point the iPhone is still the size I want. I went larger for awhile and hated it.

21. maxosx macrumors 68020

Hypocrisy aside, Apple generally builds products that appeal to the public. The confirmation of that, is their extremely high volume of sales, iPads and iPhones especially.

What I find very revealing is the general public's obsession with cameras on iPads. I've noticed some people holding up full sized iPads to take pictures with, then moments later retrieve an iPhone from their pocket.

The first thought that comes to mind, is perhaps they decided to use their iPad to "show off" with. Almost as to say "look at how cool I am, I have an iPad with a camera"!

It's about the most stupid looking display of ego mania I've ever seen.

But hey... if there was no demand, Apple wouldn't be putting cameras on what looks like (at a glance) a clipboard when it's behind help up to their face. LOL :D

22. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I completely agree about the picture taking with the iPad/tablet. At Christmas time I had to tap the people in front of me at the kids' band concert because they INSISTED on recording the concert with their tablet, and blocking my view.

23. nilk macrumors 6502a

My Nexus 7 is collecting dust and I'm just not using it, and I think the same thing would happen if I owned an iPad. A tablet just can't compete with my phone which is always in my pocket that I can pull out and use with one hand. One-handed use became especially important after my son was born 4 months ago, but was important even before that.

That said, my hands are large enough that I could probably use something slightly larger than an iPhone with one hand (though probably not a Note).

24. DeathChill macrumors 68000

It's absolutely insane how many people I see out and about taking pictures with their iPad. We were hiking in the woods and people were hiking, taking pictures with their iPad. Seriously.

25. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I dunno, I saw people taking photos with an SGS3 in Europe, while their SLR hung on their shoulders. It was the most baffling thing I've seen.

It truly goes back to the 'best camera you can fit in your pocket.'
    It doesn't mean one size fits all, but for many, convenience is a big part of it.

*That said, I saw someone maybe one or two iPads out in the open on that trip. Many times phone cameras were being used. Very few SLRs, and your usual great % of compact/compact-zooms.