Why so many people against 24" LED and Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paulg1979, Mar 4, 2009.

1. paulg1979 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm really keen on the 24" LED for my 08 Mac Pro but many seem to think there are much better alternatives for less money.
    I really like the idea of a built in cam as I skype quite a few people. I do alot of photography work so viewing pictures are really important to me. What other 24" displays are out there that are wort a look?

I know this is probably asked a fair bit on here but I can never seem to see one that stands out.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Personally, I like the concept of the 24 inch LED display. Great features with built in iSight camera, speakers, USB ports and you can charge your laptop.

The part that I don't like is the glossy screen. Wish Apple offerer a matte screen version. But that's just me.

3. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I've always liked the Dell monitors. They used the same panel that you could get in the cinema displays - and always have way more input connections. Their recent models include display port, as well as hdmi, dvi etc etc...

And have the added benefit of being a hell of whole lot cheaper.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

HP LP2475w if you want to save some money and have a none glossy screen.

NEC LCD2490WUXi or LCD2690WUXi (depends if you want wide gamut or not) if you want a better quality display.

People have things they like and dislike about most of the displays in this price range, often personal preference.

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php might also give you some ideas.

5. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I love the new 24" LED monitor. And I actually prefer the glossy.

6. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

I love the Apple Display. I can get student discount too. Is it possible to get a student discount on the graphics card too?

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The problem is only the NEW Macs can drive the 24" LED ACD. It uses the Mini Display Port ONLY! You obviously know that as you mention buying the new graphics card too.

What is the total price of both? Seems that it could be approaching the price of just buying a 30" ACD?

I always think if you own a Mac Pro it seems obvious to want the 30" ACD.

Not only that, if you buy the 30" it isn't like it will not be a great monitor for ten years... and work with future Mac Pros you buy.

I actually own the 24" LED ACD. I love it, but I use it with a MBA. All of the Mac Pro users I know, hundreds at client offices, use 30" ACDs.

So, I guess if you are happy with the smaller display, and it financially makes sense, buy the new ACD.

OR, you could wait and see what happens with the ACDs which may all be updated on the 24th of March when this supposed media event is to happen...

Good luck.

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Would be a good move if you owned a Mac Portable aswell, as you Could use the Display to Charge it.

9. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info. I may wait until then and see what they bring out. I'd love the 30" but thought it may be too big to sit in front of. i'd be pretty close. If people have no problems sitting in front of the 30" I may well go for that instead. Would the colour accuracy be better on the 30" over the 24"?

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Do you like a glossy display? If so, and the price makes sense when also needing a $400 or $500 graphics card to use it, then by all means buy it.

I think the 24" ACD is a nicer looking display. I think that because I really love a glossy display. I do not do advanced graphics and do not need a matte display for that or any reason. I think the 24" ACD is amazing... but most Mac Pro buyers like the matte display.

Going from my 13.3" MBA display, the 24" ACD seems HUGE. But, everytime I sit at a 30" display, I really enjoy all of the extra space for more working area. At the same time, my 24" works great for that too.

At the end of the day, the 24" ACD may be better for you, but you have to decide that based on your preferences.

I still am inclined to say 30" ACD, just because I assume you are like most pros I know who wants a 30" ACD. Most people that use a 30" ACD will NEVER go back to anything else. I have tried, when consulting, to get engineers and designers and photographers to go with anything else, even a different 30" display, and NONE of them are ever happy about the thought of a 23" ACD or a 30" any other brand.

My own experiences only...

Best wishes with your decision.

11. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Because the 30"er is *#@% awesome!

The 24"er is a great looking screen though. For some reason I'd rather have a mini and a 24"er, than a 24" imac, even though the 24" imac has the same panel (albeit, with a CCFL backlight).

The iMac chin and the lack of options with an iMac really bug the hell out of me though, it's an order of magnitude easier to swap a mini's guts out (or the entire mini itself), and as a second machine they're still really useful as servers or media machines or whatever, while a spare iMac doesn't have much use (I've had em!)

OTOH, $1399 for a new last gen imac, probably $1500 OTD very easily from a number of places. A new Mini is $600 OTD and a new cinema display $900 OTD, $200 more for a sexier LED backlit setup! >_> with a slower GPU and smaller HD!

Of course, I have a new 23" cinema (ADC, yes, but it is really new, I just unwrapped it a few weeks ago!), and a new-ish 20" cinema (also ADC, lol!) - I'm probably going to end up getting a mini + ADC adaptor. It'd be fun to have a new cinema, but unless it's a 30"er I doubt I'll be going that route!

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i own a 30" ACD and use a 24" LED ACD at work. My two cents is both are nice monitors and the LED is super bright but if i had to pick again I'll still go with the 30" because of the extra real estate. For some reason 6" more does make a difference. I can multitask much better on my 30" and trust me when engaged in photowork..be it hobby or professional..there's nothing like seeing it on the 30".

I'm probably getting a 24" LED in the near future but will use it for palettes and smaller windows. 30" will still be the main work screen :) hope this helps