Why so many tracking of activities on the net?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Feb 23, 2017.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

I feel a lack of privacy. When I looked up somebody via LinkedIn, that person was sent a notification. When I looked up somebdoy from SNS such as QQ, it shows up on the list of recent visitors. When I tried to download a paper written by somebody via ResearchGate, the author was informed. When I tried to sign up for some accounts or services, they asked for signing in via Facebook or Gmail. When I signed up for two accounts in a forum, they banned my accounts as the forum checked the IP address of the users. When I made a posting on a forum, the moderator sent me a warning that I was not allowed to post via VPN. At that time, I was not able to access some websites due to internet censorship in the city I was traveling in. Why all these tracking on the net?

Life was much better before the existence of www, smartphone and SNS. When I asked for direction on the streets, please asked "Why don't you use your phone to check?" When I asked some officers to provide information, they just said "The information are on the net.".

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Where are you?

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

I travel around the world. I described my experience in different countries. The forums I mentioned are international ones.

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

Welcome to hell.... I've been saying that for ages, but companies think its more convenient to invade your privacy by giving it to "them" then say "we have a policy not to share it" as a trust issue that *should* make it ok..

No way.. Never has been an issue with me, because i give up what i choose. It's never 100% privacy, because u'r info is shared but for the stuff that is not and must come to You to get, i'd like to see then try.

If u have info online, u've just givin it up... so it doesn't matter what u say after that... as if they want it, get it... its already online, but i'm not gonna tell you. (just because it's convenient)

(you should see how safe i keep my flash drives) to know my own security..

5. Jimmyss macrumors member

Jimmyss

I mainly use tracking for service to track my friends and online orders.

6. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Advertising mostly. They collectively build a profile of you, then target you with ads they think you're more likely to click on. There are other more nefarious uses for the data, including trying to influence your political views, but mostly it's to make them money.

7. max2 macrumors 68000

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Is that a new feature? A friend of mine asked me a question in person about something on my LinkedIn profile. So I know he saw it. But I never got a notification even once that anyone has ever looked at my profile.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

It's not a new feature.
    https://www.linkedin.com/help/linke...ur-profile-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en
    https://www.linkedin.com/help/linke...ur-profile-basic-and-premium-features?lang=en
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2014...w-to-view-other-people-s-profiles-anonymously

Links found with google search terms:
    linkedin profile views

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's the price you pay instead of money.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe you're popular with those who prefer anonymity.

13. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

No one forces you to be on the Internet (at least as a private citizen).

If you want to live if a dumb phone and no Internet like Warren Buffett does, that is definitely an option.

I have family members who have dumb phones and no Internet. It can be done in 2017.

You just need the resolve to do it.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I used to be all up in arms about privacy, but now if I search Google for wide-loaf, high resolution toast, I don't really mind if I start to see targeted ads for it. I also don't mind if Google uses my previous searches to offer autocomplete suggestions. It's only marginally helpful, but it's not really a problem in my mind. Stuff like that really isn't a big deal to me.

I once posted a picture of my car without blurring our my license plate (the horror!) because anybody who sees me get into the car can readily read the plate number - and then what? Track down where I live? They could just follow me home; it's not really a secret. This kind of "violation" of privacy is very, very minor IMO.

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It ALWAYS cracks me up when folks blur out their license plates online as if hundreds and thousands of people don't see it every day already.