iPad Why so much "other" on new iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ks-man, Nov 14, 2013.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I have a brand new 16gb iPad mini (1st gen) with 2.55gb of "other" in storage. I realize that temp files and stuff can sometimes fill in that other but like I said, I just bought this iPad a week ago and this used storage has been there since the beginning.

I don't want to restore as the iPad is still on 6.1.3 and I've read that iOS 7 can be slow on the first gen mini. What can I do to reclaim the almost 20% of wasted space on this iPad? I installed iCleaner and it didn't help.

Thanks.

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Maybe 'erase all contents and settings' then set up as new iPad, and only sync the stuff you actually want on there?

That said, someone at work has a 1st gen on iOS7 and hasn't mentioned anything about quality degradation.

3. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Other will also increase if you use iTunes Match since songs are stored in the cache so they don't have to be downloaded next time you play them, they are on the iPad.

----------

Go to settings, software update and see if it shows it's ready to install.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

We lost almost 3gb on ours when iOS 7 downloaded one night... when I finally upgraded it we got the space back.

I wasn't happy.... but it was my fault for leaving it plugged in one day. I should have charged it overnight when it didn't have wifi. Oops.

I knew what had happened because I had been taking pictures with it for my DD the day before. Since I was playing with the video stuff I was watching the space.

6. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I noticed today that most of my space came back. I wonder if Apple no longer forces you to keep iOS 7 if you haven't installed it after awhile.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This "other" is one of my pet peeves with Apple. We should have some sort of "advanced" maintenance function to at least let us see what's in there. Not knowing is driving me nuts, and restoring my iPad every time I want to reclaim that space is... inconvenient.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

16GB is not worth it but I understand it might be your first iPad. I did with 16GB before then went to 32GB and I am happy. :apple:

9. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Silly not to upgrade the IOS. It has absolutely no adverse effect my mini or 3.