Why so much... Verizon? AT&T?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thejadedmonkey, Nov 19, 2009.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I was just wondering why Macrumors is choosing to cover so the Verizon/AT&T spat so much. I understand that Verizon doesn't have an iPhone, and that AT&T Currently is the only iPhone carrier in the US, but is it really necessary to put on the front page a story about Verizon's commercials, or a story about AT&T's commercials? They don't even have to do with the iPhone!

And while I'm complaining, what does a palm pre firmware update or a rumored google phone have to do with Apple? I understand that the site is not just about mac's anymore, but it's slowly turning into Engadget or Gizmodo.

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

^Those are competitors to the iPhone. It's good to see news about your competitors.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The site also covers Microsoft launches and such from time to time and competitors with iTunes. Since Apple and AT&T are joined at the hip with the iPhone for the time being it has some relevance to the users of the site. Posting about AT&T/Verizon doesn't mean we don't post about something else. Not all people like all the stories on the front page but I doubt there are many sites one could go to where every single story is of interest to you.

Except maybe http://icanhascheezburger.com/

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink that MacRumors has also covered other carriers and their struggles internationally, I'm all for it, maybe AT&T will finally learn to shut up and fix things.

5. rva1 macrumors member

rva1

I like the coverage that Macrumors is providing. In a way, this is similar to the coverage provided during the time the "I'm a PC..." ads were running.

I find it amazing to see how easily people who are not in the Mac world are swayed by misinformation. Judging form the "Maps" in the Verizon ads, you'd think we were walking around with iPhone bricks that did little more than play games and music.

Personally, I have had AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile at various times over the last 10 years and can't tell you, from a coverage standpoint, that NONE have a clear advantage over the other. Although, IMHO, I think being the sole iPhone carrier gives AT&T a HUGE edge over the rest.

I say having coverage like this is very good for the Apple community. Insightful information like this will arm us with intelligent rebuttals when facing the misinformed.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I just had dinner with an ex-coworker last night. He had an iPhone. We got into a discussion about him being on AT&T since he headed up our switch to Verizon from AT&T's spotty service. He acknowledged AT&T still sucks in many ways but they have the iPhone.

For people who travel, the commercials are a reminder that some still want service, reliable service more than app.'s and doo-dads. I'm hoping either AT&T gets better (MUCH BETTER) or Verizon gets the iPhone. I don't think the commercials are misleading but show a flaw in iPhone/AT&T that many iPhone enthralled don't want to admit.