Why so negative???

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Ok so is anybody else bothered by the fact that front page stories ALWAYS end up having a lot of negative votes?

An example is the 10 year anniversary story... How can that possibly be "bad" news??

Arn, could throw up a headline like "Apple invented a cure for cancer! So they decided to give out free iphones and mac's to all!!!" And there would be like 5,000 positive votes and like 200 negative... who would think that's negative???!

Anybody else notice this and/or confused by this?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It doesn't really bother me, because I don't really care. I read a story if it interests me, not based on the number of positives or negatives.

People who realized the story was fake?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They voted negative for 10 year anniversary because its wasted too many hours of their life.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Folk can come at a particular story from many different points of view, which will influence how positively or negatively they regard it.

For example, when stories covering Steve Jobs' illness were published, they garnered both positive and negative ratings. Naturally, some voted negatively because he was ill, but others will have voted positively due to the fact that he was receiving treatment and hoped to recover. Of course, that's before we even get onto people voting mischievously against certain stories.

At the end of the day, read stories and make up your own mind based on the information provided to you – don't pay heed to what others would like you to think.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

You don't have to care. And it's not a big deal to me. I just made an observation that seems odd to me. I just don't see how some articles can be perceived negative by anyone, aside from apple-haters. (but why would they be here?)

I do ocassionally, just for fun. Of course I don't base my opinion of the article from it. Recently I've actually started trying to look at the number of negative votes to articles that I can't interpret to give negative thoughts in any way. That's what spurring my motives to start this thread. Which is just made in fun :)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't understand how people can have a point of view different from yours? :eek:

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well yes, this I understand and acknowledge in some cases. But most this doesn't apply

Well, then I should go back and vote negative... ;)

No, no. Don't try to twist my words :)

I understand all kinds of people have different views and want different things. But there are some articles that are just objectively GOOD news for apple and anyone who supports any sort of apple product. Where the only person that could dislike it is someone who has a grudge against apple in general. AKA microsoft fanboys. But would they waste their time? I don't go to microsoft news sites voting on their technology or their positive news.

The 10 year anniversary is what spurred me to write this. How could anyone that uses MacRumors hate that it has been open for 10 years? At worst that's just "meh" news to you. Who could dislike it?

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how about we just do away with the rating system as it doesnt add any real value

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe those 10 people felt as though they were not satisfied with the service MacRumors has offered in the last decade and therefore the article drew negative attention.

If you find a man starting something as a hobby, turning it into a profit-making machine, dropping a likely stressful but fulfilling job to run the profit-making machine, and lasting 10 years when many websites were failing even before they begun as negative then who are we to judge?

Don't worry so much about it, these things happen.

It allows people to start a thread to discuss it, like many other aspects of this site.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The concept of "objective good" is pretty laughable. There are two sides to every story.
    Apparently not. See Jaffa Cake's post.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't exclude people from voting negative. I'm sure they have their reasons.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just don't understand why this issue bothers people. I only hope that when MacRumors redesigns the site, they do away with that ridiculous feature.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't look at the votes either. Either the story is interesting or it's not.

15. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I suppose many just do it for the sake of it.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, that was a perfectly valid use of the idiom.

17. WiseDuck macrumors member

WiseDuck

I was going to make a topic about this but found this one.

I don't really get it either. Doesn't matter what they do it seems, you always see negative votes. Apple fixes the iMacs at last? Negative. Apples profits are through the roof? Negative. Apple decides to send a chest of gold to every customer? Negative.

18. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

watch out! you're about to get flamed!

19. diabolic macrumors 68000

I think there are a lot of negative people out there, especially when anonymized by the internet. :)

20. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Agree. If I want or need to know - click. Vote - no click.

21. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i think many of the negative votes are from people who want to see the comments and click on the blue letters without even realizing that there is comments to the left and the ratings to the right. its the internets. people click before they read.

only when the negative votes are in the hundreds i believe people voted intentionally. if ARN would move the rating buttons to the right of the page we would quickly find out.