Why software is 1.1.1 instead of 1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weidmanj, Sep 14, 2007.

1. weidmanj macrumors newbie

My thoughts are... the versions of OS X running on the iPhone and the iPod Touch are the same. They basically run on exactly the same hardware (processor etc.). The only differences are bluetooth (maybe), speakers, mic, etc. just like on different macs.

So "OS X for Portables" is currently in version 1.1 (on the iPod Touch). OS X 1.1 doesn't "support" the iPhone... but the version that we keep seeing in ads (1.1.1) does. They're the same software... I'd bet my life on it.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I buy that argument. Now we just need Apple to release it so I can play with new things on my iPhone.... Of course it would be nice if they added more than just the WiFi store.

3. weidmanj thread starter macrumors newbie

Hopefully

I hear (from a personal very reliable source) that the stereo bluetooth profile was snuck into the 1.0.2 update, but isn't working... maybe they'll unlock that.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Interesting. So that would allow for stereo bluetooth headphones to work with the iPhone potentially? Or bluetooth streaming to external speakers perhaps? I've never used bluetooth for much except wireless keyboards/mice and wireless syncing of a mobile phone, so I'm not very familiar with the profiles for audio.

5. weidmanj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup.. from what I hear, stereo headphones are just an update or two away.

6. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I can definitely see the use for that. I listen to music at work on my iPhone while I'm coding and it'd be nice not having the cord getting in my way. Are there bluetooth headsets that would work with the aluminum iMacs or Mac Pros too?

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

what i dont get about apple and the iphone is why apple is withholding features . i would think that mms, ichat, stereo bluetooth headset support, and better speakerphone volume would sell more phones. sure, maybe most users buy it not knowing it lacks that, but it would be nice for them just to release them all now, not make us wait.

8. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I agree, but I think that they also might be backed up with trying to get Leopard out the door next month and they just wanted to get the iPhone on the market, knowing that because everything on the iPhone is software-based, they can roll out updates and features as they perfect them.

9. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

You think the features are already done?

10. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

If the features are done I don't think Apple would hold them back. Either Apple is working on these features or they don't have plans for them.

Bottom line, if they had tried to put in every feature that anyone could ever want, we'd still be waiting for the iPhone in the first place...

11. AirmanPika macrumors 6502

AirmanPika

I just wish apple would add a feature to listen to music via a bluetooth headset (not A2DP headphones).

12. Wintrmte macrumors regular

One word:

MMS

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Steve has to have something else to show of during the Leopard Show ;)

14. Project macrumors 68020

Bear in mind Apple have essentially had to start from scratch, whilst basically making things work in what is basically a new paradigm. Its unreasonable to expect everything at once. Software development just doesnt work like that.

15. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

How 'bout this (yes, I LOVE to rain on peoples parades!)

1.1 would be the same on both Touch and iPhone... but the hold up for going to iPhone is that 1.1.1 corrects the buffer overflow that allows unlocking. So thew iPhone update is held up until iUnlock is blocked....

16. samiwas macrumors 65816

You hit the nail on the head. I've wanted to say this exact thing in about half the posts on this forum. I think the main object was to make sure the phone, and what features it DOES have, worked flawlessly before adding tons of other features (and certainly allowing third-party development).

People were complaining within a week that there hadn't been a big update with new features. Who does that?? Make sure what is there works first, THEN add new features. If they had crammed every single feature in, you'd probably have a lot more bugs. I think for the product it is, we have heard very little about major bugs and crashes. That is pretty remarkable (no, not being a fanboy).

This happened with a company in my line of work. They created a brand new "state of the art" control console from scratch, then tried to get it out early to appease all the people talking about it. Many years later, the platform is still so unstable that almost no one will use it, minus a few die-hards. If they had stuck with their plan, and not tried to appease the masses by cramming in features, they would have had a successful product.

The features people want (MMS, to-dos, third-party apps) will certainly be available in time (yes, hacked, they already are), but it takes a little time to develop them into a working stable release. June 29 was the release date, and the phone HAD to be stable by then. Just don't get your panties in a wad and you'll have it all soon!

17. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My theory on that is Apple didn't have everything ready for launch. Apple had to sacrifice shipping the iPhone out with all the features activated in order to get the iPhone out by the end of June.

They also had to sacrifice stability, but hopefully that will be fixed with the next update.

I thought this wouldn't be a big deal, but now I find myself wishing the iPhone had it. I think I'll jump on the "Give Us MMS" bandwagon.

18. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I guess I'm one of the few who could care less about MMS. Copy paste? It would also be nice to be able to send contacts to others; since me and my wife both have iphones it would save me from doing a lot of work :) IM would be good as well. I just rarely use SMS or MMS.

19. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

iWork support (put your iwork docs on your iphone and edit them / sync them)

would be the awesome.

(I'm liking iwork more and more, been running the demo.)

20. dansgil macrumors regular

dansgil

I really hope that a future update supports the stereo bluetooth profile. I have a Plantronics Pulsar 590E Headset I'd like to use when/if the iPhone comes to Canada.