Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Basically those who are having the Antenna Issues live in areas with less than optimal signal and OLD AT&T Towers. Places with new towers and Stronger signals don't have that affect and those are very few in the US

the-effect-of-holding-the-iphone-4.png

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
This is the experience I've had also. No signal drop unless my signal is weak to begin with.

kalemkea

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
+1 I see this all the time. Some places where signal is great, the death grip doesn't do anything. Go to a place with weaker signal, its a problem. No different than any other phone I've owned. Even non-apple phones.

willcodejavafor

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
No drop for me unless I try really hard to cover the antenna and even then it wont affect the signal 100% of the time

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
+1 I see this all the time. Some places where signal is great, the death grip doesn't do anything. Go to a place with weaker signal, its a problem. No different than any other phone I've owned. Even non-apple phones.

All phones lose some signal when you hold them but the iPhone 4 experiences a comparatively large drop. Much larger than any other phone I own. From where I'm sitting right now, the iPhone 4 is the only phone that experiences complete signal loss. The 3GS doesn't do it, the 3G doesn't do it, the Blackberry 8800 doesn't do it and the Fuze doesn't do it. Only the iPhone 4. More, the iPhone 4 actually has better reception than previous iPhones which makes the signal drop appear even larger. Sorry, no comparison.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
But mine doesn't exhibit the issue when I have a poor signal to start with either.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
are you in NYC?

I am but I've been pretty far outside of the city as well. Wherever I take the phone, I get the same reception as all my other iPhones have and don't lose it with the "death grip."

I know some here won't believe it, but whatever. I know my phone works perfectly and that's all that matters to me.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
this is just a visual of what apple said, right?

Seems like it. So instead of 5 bars dropping to 1, you'll consistently see 2 or 3 bars or something if you're in a low signal area. The only question I have now is how long does it take Apple to adjust that formula? Hopefully they're working on other fixes as well for 4.0.1...

clovis112

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
i have signal issues but not as bad as some do.
i only loose a bar of signal when i do the death-grip.
not that i'm complaining.. :D

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Well done and makes sense. Pretty much what Apple is saying. I have a strong signal so no issues.

The problem is for those with a borderline 5 bar signal. They need to face the fact of the limitations of AT&T. With the firmware upgrade they will now see how poor the signal is. They'll probably be the first in line when the iPhone comes to Verizon. :D

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

rorschach said:
But mine doesn't exhibit the issue when I have a poor signal to start with either.

That's because some iPhones don't have the issue at all. It's not just about location. Some iphones just don't do this.

People have been able to solve the problem by either trimming/taping the sim card or exchanging phones. In those cases the people are in the exact same locations and yet the problem disappears or is substantially reduced (maybe lose a bar or two but don't drop calls).

People need to stop saying it's just about the signal strength where you are. IF your phone has this issue, a very strong signal can mask it. But if your iPhone doesn't have the issue, you can't replicate this behavior mo matter where you are.

The engadget podcast where they swap iphones on the same street corner is just one of countless examples of two iphone 4s exhibiting radically different signal strength even when used in the same location by the same person.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007

The tall bar, yes. That's a representation of the how the bar are disproportional to the actual reception.

The arrows, however, indicate the large amount of attenuation the phone exhibits when held by the left corner.

Just pointing out the graph shows two different issues and it appears Apple's proposed fix only addresses the first.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
The engadget podcast where they swap iphones on the same street corner is just one of countless examples of two iphone 4s exhibiting radically different signal strength even when used in the same location by the same person.

Do we know those two phones were definitely connected to the same cell tower, on the same frequency band, etc.?

They likely weren't, thus the difference.

Every iPhone 4 has the same problem with the antenna. Some may be worse than others due to a possible issue with SIM card placement/type used, and some will not notice any problem because they live and work in strong signal areas.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Every iPhone 4 has the same problem with the antenna. Some may be worse than others due to a possible issue with SIM card placement/type used, and some will not notice any problem because they live and work in strong signal areas.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that yet. There are a lot of variables and a lot of people claiming no problems. I ask that others not dismiss my problems and I'll extend the same courtesy that their phone may in fact be trouble free until proven otherwise.

markdk86

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
I've had my signal drop holding it in the left corner, but my results have been inconstant. Sometimes it drops from 5 to 1, 5 to 3, sometimes it doesn't drop at all. Only once have I been able to replicate it to read no service and that was only during browsing the internet.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Do we know those two phones were definitely connected to the same cell tower, on the same frequency band, etc.?

They likely weren't, thus the difference.

No, they don't. As I said, even when I am in a weak signal area - which is when the problem is supposed to be most apparent - I do not experience the issue. No matter how I hold it.

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I always only have one maybe two bars at home, never had a problem with my iphone4.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010

I think it is more a visual of what Anandtech said. I don't think Apple came out with these specific ranges. My recollection is that they just said the 5 bars aren't being calculated right (unless there was a subsequent article?).

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I am in Orange County California, being A densely packed area I would think we should be up to date. But you never know. I have had lots of issues with reception.

I just downloaded SpeedTest.net from the app store and tested it when holding nicely allowing me 5 bars and holding bad. I ran the test at different levels while the bars were going up and down. Here are the results.

Download / upload rates kb/s
5 bars : 1007 / 336
3 bars : 57 / 0
1 bar : 0 / 3
3 bars : 488 / 821
5 bars : 1062 / 969

This is all on 3G. Yeah, I basically lose 100% signal! This problem really stinks. I had none of this with my iPhone 3G, in fact I was getting about 3000/1000 with it!

Something is not right!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Great Job

When I saw the thread title I thought "Ugh, another thread saying the same exact thing again."

But I have to say that I'm pleasently surprised by this graphic. Very helpful and clear to anyone who is having trouble understanding the issue.

Thanks for contributing something new and interesting to the conversation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.