Why some people call the MacBook Pro "MacBook"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jun 20, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

2. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Because it’s shorter, and there isn’t a product line simply called “MacBook” anymore? I just stick to MBP (or MBPR) when I’m typing, since it’s shortest but still specific.

EDIT: I’d imagine it also has something to do with the fact that “Pro” seems like a descriptor tacked onto the name “MacBook” to the layperson.

4. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Why would you care if they don't include the pro. I even call my mbp a macbook from time to time because like a previous poster said, its easier.

5. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

Same reason people say iTouch, iPhone 4GS, I-phone, etc, etc :p

It drives some people up the wall, while others don't care.

6. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

I totally agree. The MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air are are completely different lines of Macintosh notebooks. People sound very dumb when they call their MacBook Pro a MacBook. I was doing some work for someone the other that was telling me about their Mac Pro, come to find out they were talking about a MacBook Pro. Very frustrating.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I came across an article this morning. The title was something like:
    MacBook with Retina Display. I got confused immediately. I thought Apple released a real "MacBook" that has a Retina Display.

----------

I think it got started when Apple released the white MacBook. Then, non-technical consumers started calling all Apple's laptops "MacBook".

9. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Couple reasons:

1. Because "macbook", "macbook air", and "macbook pro" are all varieties of "macbook". Consider "hamburger", "hamburger with cheese", "hamburger with bacon". All three are kinds of hamburger. Omitting the qualifier is not necessarily wrong.
    2. As commentary on the release of a MBP which some users feel doesn't really deserve the label -- especially coupled with counter-arguments in which people assert that a given feature is not useful to "most users", but only to "professional users". If it's a machine that intentionally omits features needed by some pro users, that seems more like the traditional macbook line.

10. Melih macrumors member

11. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

It says a lot about the thread that I can't actually tell which set of people you are addressing this to.